Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Try this one: none of your arguments have actually materialised. They're all worst case scenarios. Meanwhile no president since Bush has managed to keep their promises on undoing what GWB started. An actual real live war which may be the very bedrock a huge % of our post millennial tension rests upon. We've just had enough bullshit to wade through that, as Davis points out, serves as a potent amnesiac.

As for damage to the country, GWB (well let's be fair, his government and puppet masters) basically made the world hate America and sent them into a tizz they've never been able to untangle. Without that foundation there would be no Trump in the WH.

All roads lead to 9/11
Not sure what you mean by "haven't materialised". Trump did pull out of the Iran deal, there's no "worst case scenario" about it. He also assassinated their top general, remember.

And the official death toll from covid is now well over 400,000, and the actual excess deaths is looking closer to 600,000.

My point is absolutely not to exculpate GWB, just to make that clear.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's pretty clear. He was an out of control buffoon. He didn't know what he was doing half the time. Fulled by spite and momentum. As long as he keeps talking. As long as he doesn't show hesitation. He knew that's all was needed. Plus ticking the boxes of the right voting blocks. Yes he stirred the pot and drove divisions but those wounds will heal. For most thinking peoples, him plus corona have in fact inspired us to be more vigilant and think more critically. Sooner or later this moment in time will prove to have been develolpmentally important. Real growth often hurts. Biden on the other hand is more likely to be a return to the old ways. Don't be fooled by the token gestures.
I wish I shared your optimism about healing wounds &c. Seems to me that each half of the country thinks the other half is both insane and evil. Trump didn't create those divisions, sure, but he definitely exploited them and made them far worse. And they may carry on getting worse for years to come, regardless of whatever Biden does.

Leo

Two pro-Trump lawyers are now going to court in Texas to get the judge to change how the US works. They want Biden and Harris - the illegitimate usurpers - to have to ask the permission of some "stewards" before they do anything like use Air Force One and they want the stewards to control the nuclear football and so on. Look at the precedent they're using for their argument - once again I am completely dumbfounded.

View attachment 5865

this is one of the reasons why these cases get tossed out without being heard. lawyers basing their cases on fictional literature should always be laughed out of court, and probably sanctioned.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think basing a legal argument on a plot element from The Lord Of The Rings should count as three strikes in one go.

Leo

besides not being a credible legal argument, it also makes a mockery of the legal process. that should have consequences.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
besides not being credible legal argument, it also makes a mockery of the legal process. that should have consequences.
It's total fucking bollocks anyway, since Eärnur, the last king of Gondor, didn't "abandon the throne", but died without issue after accepting the challenge of the Witch-King and failing to emerge from Minas Morgul. 🙄

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's total fucking bollocks anyway, since Eärnur, the last king of Gondor, didn't "abandon the throne", but died without issue after accepting the challenge of the Witch-King and failing to emerge from Minas Morgul. 🙄
You've read the defence argument I see.

IdleRich

IdleRich
They had a vote to dismiss it which did not succeed, but there will need to be a swing against Trump for a conviction. Mitch voted to dismiss the slippery wanker.

Leo

interesting article about how trump could be rolling in the dough if he got even a small percentage of the 88 million people who followed him on twitter or 74 million who voted for him to pay $100 a year to receive an exclusive weekly newsletter. wouldn't have to worry about real estate development, hotels and golf courses hit by COVID, etc. he loved to blab, it would basically be a rehash of his greatest hits ("lock her up!") with an occasional new target.

What some on Wall Street think Trump will do is further tap into a subset of his army of 74.2 million voters and ask its members to give him, say, $100 a year to continue to get his pithy utterances, now that he has been removed from most of the major social media platforms. Think of it as a Trumpian version of Substack. Follow the logic for a moment. Say a third of his base—about 25 million people—agrees to sign up for some sort of weekly Donald Trump newsletter, the actual work for which he would (of course) delegate. The content could be his banal musings, or updates on his legal battles, or his plans for mounting a 2024 presidential candidacy.

If 25 million people agreed to pay Trump $100 a year, that’s $2.5 billion free and clear, far more money than he would need to pay off his creditors.

“WE’RE GOING TO BE STUNNED BY HOW MUCH MONEY HE MAKES”: WALL STREET LOOKS TO DONALD TRUMP’S NEXT CON