IdleRich

IdleRich
That actually wouldn't be a con though would it?
He'd better strike while the iron is hot though, I don't see too many people taking that up next year or the year after.

Leo

seems totally plausible. he tweeted a hundred times a day sometimes, it's not like he'd be at a lose for content.

Leo

think of it, though: even if only 1/88th of his twitter followers subscribed, that's $100 million income and almost pure profit for a newsletter.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So seems as though Trump is gonna fight his impeachment with the argument "election was stolen and so I was entitled to start an attack on the capitol"

TrumpImpeach.jpg
Insufficient evidence unless you count all the recounts, the audits, the 62 court cases and the utterly overwhelming conclusion of everyone who looked it into it that the president's statements were totally inaccurate.
I understand that this will put the GOP in a tricky position, they want to acquit but they don't want to persist with what they have now all pretty much admitted was bullshit. I think they were hoping he would say "sorry" or argue that what he said didn't incite an actual insurrection, not just say "yeah, I did it and it was the right thing to do so fuck you all".

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
hmm...this person seems to be pressing a point that no one is actually arguing. we know trump's policy initiatives are pretty much in line with GOP doctrine, and even overlap with some (but not much) of that of the Democratic Party. what am I missing?
Yeah, you'd have to be pretty messed up to think the GOP was all sweetness and light until Trump came along and made it bad and wrong. (Or you'd have to be knowingly dishonest to pretend to think that.)

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah it's weird all these people going "i have to leave the GOP THIS is too much" as though they never noticed anything odd before. And they waited until after he/they was out of power just to be safe too.

sus

hmm...this person seems to be pressing a point that no one is actually arguing. we know trump's policy initiatives are pretty much in line with GOP doctrine, and even overlap with some (but not much) of that of the Democratic Party. what am I missing?
No way is liberal amnesia this bad. Forecasts for Trump's presidency from liberal & media quarters in 2016 were not "incompetent but otherwise boringly within the policy mainstream," they were "unprecedented, apocalypse-ushering white supremacist." People sobbed. It was like a terrorist attack the day after in New York.

sus

The retro-justification here on display in this thread is, well, GOP was always terrible. Bro, did you even read the excerpt? Are we talking about the same thing? Trump's ICE numbers, perhaps the crown jewel on his image as America's Most Despicable President, weren't getting compared to Bush's. A Clinton presidency would've been the exact same on the immigration front, the media just wouldn't have cared. And American foreign policy under a Clinton presidency? Probably conflict.

luka

amnesia is a real thing but it goes across the board. theres not a specific liberal form of it. its absolutely fascinating and very alarming though. it suggest we run time as a series of micro-loops.

sus

I don't think so either, but in this case, it's the liberals who have it. Moderates who, in 2016, were telling their liberal friends and colleagues, "Hm, no, I don't think you need to change your plans about having children, America won't be an apocalyptic wasteland next year"—they remember. They also remember getting told they "didn't appreciate the unprecedented scope of Trump's white supremacy," as if American history didn't exist. The liberal mainstream was diagnosably hysterical in the wake of 2016, and that's not something to paper over now that DJT's administration is over.

sus

People who are foreign maybe didn't have an inside lens. Let me remind: the day after the election, universities across the nation held moments of silence and cancelled class for the mental health of their students.

Leo

first off, I'll be a broken record and reiterate that judging "how everyone feels" by what's on liberal twitter and MSNBC is a mistake.

people were certainly outraged/deeply saddened by Trump's behavior, lack of qualifications and basic knowledge, lack of interest in governing, corruption, pettiness, blatant racism, etc., all of which the person quoted in that passage acknowledges. one could even go as far as to say he himself had no actual policies, just went along with things that he thought would appeal to his base and would help him get reelected. he essentially continued with GOP (and on occasion Dem) policies because he has no core convictions of his own. the difference is he let the more extreme factions of the party (Stephen miller, etc.) play a bigger role and have more say because he digs bluster. instead of bush's compassionate conservatism, we got "American carnage".

his policies were not new, but he went about things with a previously unseen level of gross divisiveness, which is what got a lot of liberals and moderates upset. that's not news, is it? I don't get the argument.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't think so either, but in this case, it's the liberals who have it. Moderates who, in 2016, were telling their liberal friends and colleagues, "Hm, no, I don't think you need to change your plans about having children, America won't be an apocalyptic wasteland next year"—they remember. They also remember getting told they "didn't appreciate the unprecedented scope of Trump's white supremacy," as if American history didn't exist. The liberal mainstream was diagnosably hysterical in the wake of 2016, and that's not something to paper over now that DJT's administration is over.
There's the minor matter of his mishandling of a pandemic that has killed half a million Americans. A pandemic he initially dismissed as a Democratic hoax, then downplayed, blamed on China, or lied about in any number of ways.

Nobody predicted that in 2016, obviously, but it's hard to see how he could possibly have fucked it up any worse than he did.

sus

first off, I'll be a broken record and reiterate that judging "how everyone feels" by what's on liberal twitter and MSNBC is a mistake.
I'm not. I lived it. Anyone in blue, coastal America lived it. I saw it happen in uni classes. I heard it from friends in other unis' classes. I heard it at frat parties, and from 60y/o professors. It wasn't "MSNBC"; I saw it on every major news platform every day. I heard it from my parents. I heard it from my parents friends, and my grandparents.

The forecasts were bleak and apocalyptic; words like "historically unprecedented" and "le resistance" were bandied around; people had mental health breakdowns; again, New York felt like the day after a terror attack. That was the mood, everywhere. I noted this mood, and then saw friends note it, and then saw it written about in media op-eds. I will not let us paper over this: our collective ability to predict and forecast is equivalent to our ability to make decisions.

sus

IMO "it could have been much worse and we got lucky" is the stronger argument here, because it's almost impossible to legislate dramatic counterfactuals. But "no, the presidency turned out exactly as bad as liberals predicted" is a ret-con.