john eden

male pale and stale

idle richie, tea and eden will all thoroughly enjoy this brexit essay by marxist historian ep thompson
Thanks for posting that - it’s a great piece of writing! :cool:

IdleRich

IdleRich
According to the ultra-Brexity Indie, the shortage of Vets is due to some shit lobbying by the Royal College of Vets and an increase in pet ownership during the pandemic.

You guys always find another reason.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Maybe there always is another reason, or at least more than one reason? You can't knock people for having a response.
I can and do knock people for pretending that a million different brexit problems were all suddenly caused by various different factors that have nothing to do with brexit. Right after brexit.

version

I can and do knock people for pretending that a million different brexit problems were all suddenly caused by various different factors that have nothing to do with brexit. Right after brexit.
I don't think John's one of those people though.

john eden

male pale and stale
Well we can simplify things or complicate things I guess. For me this all stems from issues with the setting up of the Meat Hygiene Service in the 90s and the failure to grow our own inspector cadre which is down to snobbery by the vets who did not want to let go of those powers but also did not want to undertake them.

The lack of people qualifying predates Brexit I think as it takes years to do that iirc.

The specific issue with border checks is down to Brexit but is dependent on the specific hard Brexit that was negotiated for. Other options were available but as I said upthread they were lost because of the “remain or nothing” attitude of some MPs.

I do not think that the increase in pet ownership is down to Brexit but you may have some insights into that I have missed.

version

Yeah, I get the impression what Brexit's done is suddenly pile a huge amount of pressure on lots of things which were already in a bad way, like dropping an anvil on a rotten floor.