Status
Not open for further replies.

mixed_biscuits

But I feel like nothing will ever change, in terms of government, unless we all grow a pair and get stuck in if we don't like it. There will be heads rolling at first, but you have to applaud any kind of big youth movement in Europe, its so unusual.
Why does the UK feel a million miles away from doing anything like this?

mixed_biscuits

Somehow the government's psychological manipulation has worked.

As has keeping the football up and running.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind

catalog

I think that 2011 thing killed a lot of people's will. That was brutal. I mean Mark duggan and all that, mad how thst was handled really.

catalog

Watching small axe recently, if you watch the first one, it does feel like not a lot has moved on, if you compare mangrove 9 to mark duggan.

sus

Haha but also fuck off with this alt-right adolescent edgelord act. This stuff is well documented and not limited to *thumbs through Dictionary of Reliable Digs at Liberals* the Guardian.

The real tragedy is people doing their bit to protect the interests of a multi trillion dollar industry while imagining themselves righteous rebels. I mean come the fuck on.
The real tragedy is that you're too much of an ignoramus to tell an "adolescent edgelord alt-right" take from a standard continental philosophy reminder

sus

The real tragedy is that you're too much of an ignoramus to tell an "adolescent edgelord alt-right" take from a standard continental philosophy reminder
There are similarities, of course—which is why you see a fair amount of Theory on the "adolescent edgelord alt-right" (Deleuze & Guattari and Zizek, prominently). Both are critiques of a complacent, assuming liberalism—a liberalism that doesn't realize the deep power structures that certify its "scientific truth" as an "objective fact," thereby precluding opposition. This is a basic Foucauldian stance, really.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Trust in the government is too high here, with the middle-classes softened up by decades of placid government and comfortable living.
You think that because a large part of your self-esteem is bound up in your self image as a lone Neo who has seen through the Matrix, while everyone else is a brainwashed sheeple. Trust in government here is low, and declining, with good reason:

trust_govt.JPG

The most recent figures here are from 2019. I think it's safe to assume they won't have improved over the course of last year.

Maybe you think any number higher than 0% is too high, but anyway, the idea that most people trust the government is clearly false.

sus

For instance, with masks, the first months of COVID we heard almost every major government institution in the West parroting the WHO line: there's no evidence masks work.

Now, there were a couple problems with this claim. First, there was a sort of evidence: it had been used to great efficacy by Asian countries for decades, and then there's the basic mechanics of the thing—we know how flus and colds and similar viruses spread; the symptoms are the means of transmission that the virus establishes. Coughing, sneezing—the particles spread from my lungs into yours. Common sense and historical precedent were on the side of mask-wearing.

But these were disregarded—specifically, the claim "masks don't work" was built off the argument that there had been no studies of mask-wearing's efficacy stopping COVID's spread specifically. Nevermind the basic scientific error that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Nevermind they hadn't even yet gone looking for evidence, nevermind that the rigorous scientific work needed to establish mask efficacy w/r/t COVID would either be ethically impermissible (you'd have to run a study exposing humans to the virus with and without masks) or else require large statistical samples over time (i.e. we'd have to wait and compare countries/regions' rates with and without masks). So the kind of "evidence" the WHO desired was basically impossible to get.

The common sense + historical precedent should've been enough while we waited on more rigorous studies, but there was a political agenda: mask supply was limited, and governments wanted to make sure it stayed in the hands of emergency workers. That's pretty reasonable! But look how that "ought" ended up smuggled into a "scientific" "is"—it wasn't just that we should refrain from buying masks, it was that they didn't work. (Nevermind the incoherence of arguing emergency workers needed masks for protection, but masks offered no protection.) Suddenly there's a regime of liberals going around calling anyone wearing a mask paranoid, or shouting at them in bodegas about their "alt facts" and conspiracies. These liberals, too, believed they were on the side of "the facts"—only to reverse course as soon as the official government line changed.

Also important to remember: The director of the WHO is Ethiopian. Chinese and Ethiopian relations are so established they have their own Wikipedia page. China is well-documented as funneling massive amounts of money into the third-world to get UN members to vote their way. This doesn't necessarily mean that the WHO downplayed COVID because of Chinese influence, but it's certainly grounds for suspicions, and a reminder of the Foucauldian role of power in determining "truth."

What we have is a perfect illustration of the idea, which reaches back to and beyond Nietzsche, but is expressed most thoroughly by post-structuralist thought, that "truth and power are two sides of the same coin."

Your naive liberal view of "science", Tea, is not the one found in the halls of science—it's the one found in the halls of government, echoed by technocrats whose job it is to control the populace.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You wouldn't know "philosophy" if it ran up and yanked off your MAGA cap, m8.

Status
Not open for further replies.