Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
(Never mind the somewhat larger risk of being permanently disabled by it - something you've consistently ignored.)

mixed_biscuits

The models that actually bother to differentiate IFR by age indicate that a shielding-of-the-vulnerable strategy is better for the vulnerable than an everyone-try-and-hide strategy. That's because the robust members of the populace catch it, recover and herd immunity is established within that open population.

Imperial's models have tended to give everyone the same IFR, which is clearly wrong.

This might be why Sweden is doing ok now while the rest of Europe continues to get hammered.

mixed_biscuits

The only way to ignore the latter is to fixate doggedly on Covid, to the exclusion of all else.

mixed_biscuits

@john eden I think these vaccines are turning out to be too potent for some of the elderly. It also seems that many of the trials didn't look especially closely at how the elderly would be affected; this is from the official advice for the AZ vaccine here:

vaccine elderly safety info.png

British Medical Journal..."the original Pfizer trial demonstrated a statistically significant 40% increase in ‘suspected COVID’, with 409 cases in the vaccination arm in the first week of the trial, compared with 287 in the placebo arm."

mixed_biscuits

Antibody prevalence for the young suggests that over 20 million people had already been infected 'naturally' (and perhaps shows the - not especially great - difference in suppression between England and Wales):
antibodies ONS England Wales.png

john eden

male pale and stale
@john eden I think these vaccines are turning out to be too potent for some of the elderly. It also seems that many of the trials didn't look especially closely at how the elderly would be affected; this is from the official advice for the AZ vaccine here:

View attachment 6862

British Medical Journal..."the original Pfizer trial demonstrated a statistically significant 40% increase in ‘suspected COVID’, with 409 cases in the vaccination arm in the first week of the trial, compared with 287 in the placebo arm."
You think the BOFA trials are a particular issue?

mixed_biscuits

wild greens

The synergy between this thread and the weird WhatsApp sparks group I have on mute is weird man.

Who started this talk about Israel death numbers. Would love to know how everyone has the same talking points at the same time

I don't care enough to find out if its true or not. The curiosity is in the information dissemination

IdleRich

IdleRich
Same on twitter, you notice that each day the bots have a new bit of (normally dis)information to propagate and then you read the same argument repeated over and over again by the useful idiots, often even in the same words. All rebelliously sticking it to the man just as they've been told to. MB is just one among many I fear.

wild greens

The thing is, the Israel stats might be true, I just don't care enough to find out. I've got too much going on tbh

But clearly groups set agendas on both sides of the argument. The idea that social media et al is a liberating free-for-all is a complete myth

who starts the shit. That's the real curiosity.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah same. It's amazing how fast it spreads. I think some people are knowingly part of that, some unknowingly, it makes little difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.