Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Now get equally worked up about undiagnosed cancer sufferers, people waking up with myocarditis, people topping themselves, wrecked education and businesses, a looming breakdown of supply chains, and unequalled redistribution of wealth the wrong way.

Yeah, okay, I am also worked up about people dying of cancer etc because the entire health service has had to pivot to looking after people who think they're too fucking clever to get vaccinated until they end up coughing their lungs up in an ICU.

mixed_biscuits

Yeah, okay, I am also worked up about people dying of cancer etc because the entire health service has had to pivot to looking after people who think they're too fucking clever to get vaccinated until they end up coughing their lungs up in an ICU.
Bear in mind that proven treatments are out there but blocked.

mixed_biscuits

Funnily enough the number of deaths that the modellers think we're due in the absence of rewrecking the country - 75,000 - is not anomalous for a flu; there's nothing stopping them porting this approach over to that familiar but poorly understood and slippery disease and having measures forever.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
do you not worry even a tiny bit about 'the coming authoritarianism' to coin a phrase?
I worry about it less than this vast wave of ultra-reactionary populism that you and various others here have got swept up in, to be honest.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
not to speak for @Mr. Tea - wait, actually, to speak for @Mr. Tea in fact - he seems to think the authoritarianism is (a) inevitable (b) already upon us (c) not that bad and better than everyone dying of diseases
If it's already here and nobody is doing anything meaningful about it, then whether it's good or bad is beside the point.

Consider the common argument that vaccine passports are just an excuse for the government to track our whereabouts. (The extreme version of this includes tiny RFID microchips, of course.) Now what percentage of people who believe that own a mobile phone? Like, nearly all of them? And in most cases a smartphone, very probably with at least one social media app on it? If you think the government can't track you already, if it chooses to, then I've got a lovely bridge to sell you at a very reasonable rate.

It's this unthinking and extremely selective paranoia, which ironically contains a great deal of naivety baked into it, that winds me up.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
do you not worry even a tiny bit about 'the coming authoritarianism' to coin a phrase?

The Empire never ended, but it is morphing. There’s a huge difference between worry and “land war in Asia”, which is what @148 I.Q. Magical Thinker wants, the quickest route to collapse than any

The lines between vigilance, hyper-vigilance, paranoia, delusions, hallucinations and psychosis are marginal within each of us. Slippy paths that stronger humans than you, I and HmmGuv have been undone by. There’s no magic wand. Have old friends who work frontline in A&E and the joke is old too now, don’t know how they do it

Debate is idiot distraction as Loogi Baroogi would be the first to admit, learned helplessness etc etc etc

ED831009-06C5-4B22-BC73-AD769E37E5E0.jpeg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
for me the covid passport is just another passport that serves as an instrument to exclude people and it will exactly be the poor, the sick, the disabled, the non-white people, the activists and the outcasts that will suffer under such an instrument.
That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. They're the very people who stand to gain the most by a high vaccination uptake.

luka

'populism' is that it is a word without a definition. it is used to smear any leader or movement that the technocrat pointy-heads deem to be a threat, whether that is living saint-messiah jeremy corbyn or used car salesman donald trump. and that deliberate misreading of yyaldrin is beneath even you

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
'populism' is that it is a word without a definition. it is used to smear any leader or movement that the technocrat pointy-heads deem to be a threat, whether that is living saint-messiah jeremy corbyn or used car salesman donald trump. and that deliberate misreading of yyaldrin is beneath even you
Yes, that's right, Donald Trump, who was not in any way supported by any faction of either the establishment or the tech world.

Load of bollocks.
Handing out boosters to the selfish worried well is putting the most strain on the system right now.

You're lost, mate.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
trump wasnt called a 'populist'?
Yes, he was called one, because he is one. By the actual definition of the word, not by your moronic undefinition give above:

"it is used to smear any leader or movement that the technocrat pointy-heads deem to be a threat"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
@yyaldrin, if you're going to persist in this bizarre argument that the anti-vaxx movement is in any way progressive or humanitarian, can you explain why it's now virtually an official ideology of the Republican party? Does that seem like an organization that cares about the poor and the sick?

Or that it puts you on the same side as a Trump-worshipping wannabe tech bro and a literal eugenicist?

luka

@yyaldrin, if you're going to persist in this bizarre argument that the anti-vaxx movement is in any way progressive or humanitarian, can you explain why it's now virtually an official ideology of the Republican party? Does that seem like an organization that cares about the poor and the sick?

Or that it puts you on the same side as a Trump-worshipping wannabe tech bro and a literal eugenicist?
this 'thinking' is exactly what makes you so uniquely mush-brained