Going it alone

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
It's not really disco though is it? I've not really heard it called that much.
the point isn't that it's literally disco

the Rolling Stones didn't literally make disco but they did make "Hot Stuff"

the Who never made an actual 80s funk record but they did "Eminence Front" (which is a great tune tbf0

padraig (u.s.)

no there's nothing inherently wrong it

but why would you want to listen to Young Americans when you listen to the O'Jays or whatever?

IdleRich

IdleRich
the point isn't that it's literally disco

the Rolling Stones didn't literally make disco but they did make "Hot Stuff"

the Who never made an actual 80s funk record but they did "Eminence Front" (which is a great tune tbf)
Boxed Joy seemed to be implying it was though... but I don't think people ever consumed it that way.

sus

but he didn't excel at any of those characters or roles, really: the Space Oddity stuff is turgid and dull, the disco stuff is coercion pomp, it just doesn't land for me at all

...what? this skips his entire peak, you jumped from his first album to his late period. If you wanna diss the guy, hit him where it hurts, with his Berlin albums, or hell, his peak glam years Hunky n Ziggy

IdleRich

IdleRich
I mean Neu are one of my favourites - I even like LA Dusseldorf who ARE tasteless.
But Neu did nothing that sounds like Heroes... and Bowie didn't really do anything that sounds like Hero.

sus

but he didn't excel at any of those characters or roles, really: the Space Oddity stuff is turgid and dull, the disco stuff is coercion pomp, it just doesn't land for me at all

still thinking about this

Boxedjoy did someone with terrible taste show you Bowie's worst output as representative

luka

i dont consider it music at all. i think everything he done shiuld be dissolved in a bath of acid

padraig (u.s.)

if people just like Bowie's music more than whatever he's drawing from, that's fine

what I object to is the idea that he's some kind of singular pop genius or somehow better than whatever he's drawing on

padraig (u.s.)

the idea isn't that they're "competitive"

it's that when you hear actual Philly soul you're like why would I ever listen to this pale, limpid take on it

some people may prefer the pale, limpid take