Decline

luka

Depends who you ask. There has always been a fairly wide latitude for gimmicks and silly fun things. You're allowed, up to a point and it definitely was played on pirates and in clubs.

Reactions: Leo

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
feels less like we're facing a decline than a plummet

Accelerating. Case study - Matt Hancock. Half a moomin. You could take a random sample of 1000 Britons and most could have this cunt for breakfast intellectually and in a good old row. Insipid, no souled bastard.

If a vaccine leads to a health pass (of a kind), that could play into (more accurately manipulated) into even worse scenarios. Could see a hack of some major infrastructure at some point, to add to the chaos. Fingers pointing internationally.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I'd be inclined to nest an alt-left within a larger cosmological framework, but in such a way that one can just subscribe to the political belief system without taking on the more galaxy-brained stuff. Modular belief systems.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
The crux would be that it, the alt-left, would be socially progressive while also operating against certain trends of neoliberalism, perhaps. There doesn't seem to already be a well defined alt-left, in these terms. But maybe I'm overlooking something.

In a way it wouldn't really be anything new, just a sort of historically periodic rupturing of what qualifies as progressive. And I think its possible to nest a progressive belief system within an understanding of physics, accounting for all known orders of scale. Might necessitate a sort of progressive mythos or some such, a valorization of negentropy.

sus

I don't need a manifesto I don't wanna change anyone, I just want my own island so I don't have to put up with them

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I pretty much already have that situation, only in the desert. As with changing their minds, it would be part of a larger effort of optimization. And as far as I can tell, a proper alt-left could inherit substance from marxism.

Perhaps it would consist of a rejuvenated understanding of control and emancipation.

Could also inherit from certain esoteric traditions, and clearly it would have to inherit much from science.

Leo

The crux would be that it, the alt-left, would be socially progressive while also operating against certain trends of neoliberalism, perhaps. There doesn't seem to already be a well defined alt-left, in these terms. But maybe I'm overlooking something.

In a way it wouldn't really be anything new, just a sort of historically periodic rupturing of what qualifies as progressive. And I think its possible to nest a progressive belief system within an understanding of physics, accounting for all known orders of scale. Might necessitate a sort of progressive mythos or some such, a valorization of negentropy.

interesting...so just the good bits of the left, then.

as shields asked, can you give us a half-dozen bullet points each on what you'd support and what you'd be against? we don't read long bricks of prose, so just the beliefs, no need for explanation why on each.

Leo

now I see from the other thread that you're hungover so maybe not in the right mind for it. all good, tomorrow will be fine.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
(I'll work out a neater and more concise list, just throwing some stuff out there for the time being)

Sure, but with the disclaimer that position-taking is itself at odds with the larger framework in question. That said, manifestos are about taking positions. So for an alt-left, I'd be asserting positions not purely because I'd condone them through and through, but perhaps because it would be a step forward, net if not gross, if people adopted them.

So what would an alt-left consist of?

It would largely be based on a skepticism of how socially progressive rhetoric can be used to distract and disarm. That said, this skepticism is usually voiced by people, seemingly, who aren't substantially concerned with social progress, or perhaps even oppose it.

All the talk of schizo could figure in in an integral way, but I'm not sure how. Could be that the alt-left would entail more of a conscious and constant reorientation of itself, feeling out the political landscape from a variety of ideological perspectives, trying to tap into this and that ethos, administering their developments, etc. This is where it could start looking like something esoteric and mystical, so perhaps not practical.

But it would largely be situated in that horseshoe territory. CCRU would be considered a sort of forerunner, or grandfather group of the alt-left.

Ideally it would be a cosmic progressivism, but again I'm not sure how that would appeal to most people. That is, it would base human agency and revolutionary potential in much more primal and integral physical processes - but now we're entering territory too scientific or technical for most interests.

It should be hard work, but I think concessions need to be made there, if we are to entertain the possibility of actually gaining traction/support.

Those involved in DiEM25, Progressive International, etc. could be close to the territory I'm describing.

But what could be innovative about an alt-left would be that it could develop a symbiotic relationship to capitalism, rather than constantly pouting about it, at a loss. Wouldn't be accelerationism through, which, while a step toward the alt-left I have in mind, doesn't seem to prescribe clear enough and sensible enough solutions.

That is, the alt-left wouldn't be trying to hasten capitalism unto its unfolding, but it would be a midwife, gradually optimizing things and coaxing out potentially new political and economic eras.

It would be a project toward communism. Just with new and experimental guidelines and strategies.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
One of the underlying principles, which I understand as being marxist, is that the preceding system is pregnant with the succeeding system.

Which doesn't necessarily mean we need to be complicit with the current system, just that we need to understand that a better system won't just come out of the blue.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Near Joshua Tree, in the hills beyond a little town called Rimrock. Extensive caravans of off-roaders passing by, but fortunately our property is out of sight and out of mind.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I'm gradually getting used to full time living up here, off grid, whereas my family is still primarily living in suburbs of the san fernando valley.

Leo

still too much explanation, too many qualifiers, Stan. just give us the goods. movements form around slogans, for this/against that. spelling out secondary motivating factors just gums up the works. we're like pop music fans, we need hooks, not noodling guitar virtuosity.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
still too much explanation, too many qualifiers, Stan. just give us the goods. movements form around slogans, for this/against that. spelling out secondary motivating factors just gums up the works. we're like pop music fans, we need hooks, not noodling guitar virtuosity.
Alt-Left would be, among other things:

an attempt at refreshing human revolutionary potential

the reconciliation of revolutionary ethos with capitalism

concerned with demographic equity within the input for and conversations around major societal decisions

split between optimizing the current orthodoxy, from the inside, as well as scoping it out from the outside (hence "alt")

an attempt at prioritizing and maximizing dialectical activities - conversations.

potentially based on technological progressivism as well as an egalitarian progressivism (despite their history of being at odds)

Reactions: Leo