Decline

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Here are some:

Demographic reductionism - whether you do it to yourself or to others - often impedes substantial social progress while passing as empowering or otherwise progressive.

The major media are not to be disregarded totally, just recognized as legitimate, if extra-governmental, organs of power on which viewers can become reliant upon for information which is presented as neutral.

Self-guided internet education can enable the average citizen to better understand the complexities and nuances of the world - more effectively than the established methods of education. (A praxis should perhaps be elaborated, bootstrapping the student into self-guidedness)

Not all facts confirm the same narratives, so a scientifically informed belief system is fundamentally non-partisan and cannot afford to be dependent on coherent narratives.

Now that we are in the so-called Information Age, a proper cognitariat vanguard needs to be established. (perhaps by way of internet autodidacticism)

Reactions: sus

constant escape

winter withered, warm
The notion of a cognitariat vanguard would, from what I can tell, mesh nicely with McKenzie Wark's theories about how capitalism has developed. She uses the term vectoralism to describe this new phase, with the vectoralist class supplanting the capitalist class as the primary exploiters, and the hacker class as the exploitees. ("Vectoral" I believe has to do with the ability to remotely extract value, an ability that has been kicked into overdrive thanks to technological developments.)

edit: "hacker" may actually be used to describe the exploitees who have attained a particular class consciousness, with perhaps the lumpenproletariat equivalent being just vapid sources of data. Not familiar enough with Wark's work to say for sure. I'm pretty much extrapolating here.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Information being a sort of transcendent commodity, seeing as it optimizes the production, distribution, etc, of other commodities.

edit: to be clear, data is extracted from people, and becomes information when it is interpreted, ascribed certain significances.

sus

I think this thread would be better titled "Liminality"

I think that's a better descriptor of what's happening

sus

Things are rough during social overhauls! The industrial revolution was terrible for a long time! I think this is the beginning of things getting rough; it might take our whole lifetimes for things to get better

sus

Still: everyone here has the capacity to sit this thing out comfortably, À rebours-style. Stock up on supplies, lower your rent overhead, and learn some skills in the new economy. Dissensus can be our country home, where we indulge the senses and scorn the world.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
No, but one of my cousins just suggested that yesterday. Tomorrow I'm planning on starting a massive compost pile, but without adding any food scraps or human waste. Just using the brush and dead leaves and wood chips found on the property.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
A compost toilet could be a good option at some point though. It would take some pressure off of our septic system. Not sure how to manage human waste in terms of compost though.

catalog

I helped my mate with the basic shed building element of a compost loo over the summer in Dorset.

They got a guy in to drop a 1.5 metre hole in the ground, which would get lined with something, maybe lime, and then some pebbles in the bottom for a bit of drainage, something like that.

And then the ex-garden shed, without the floor, gets built over it.

I think the main thing you need to try to do in terms of use is separate the wet and the dry, cos it's the moistness that makes unpleasant aromas.

Basically learn to separate pissing and shitting as discrete activities.

But apparently if there's only a few people using it, sparingly, this sort of method is pretty good, can last a fair while before you need to build another.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
And by the sound of it, easily buildable. I'd also imagine you can construct the shed, in the manner of a traditional outhouse, in such a way that you can disconnect it from the compost below and move it on top of a fresh hole.

luka

my cousin built one on his property many years ago. Hasn't killed him yet.nyoure always talking about building things though Stan and you never actually do the building. You just like the idea of building. Not actually the hammers and nails. Tell us more about your cult compound, who lives there, how you got your hands on it etc