Leo

I'd imagine leavers would make an England victory into a final, official, glorious FU to the EU.

version

Gazzetta dello Sport piece says the "generous penalty" awarded to England "confirms the suspicions of a return of favour" to Boris Johnson for his role in stopping the Super League threat to UEFA.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
don’t mind you winning just as long as it’s not the start of a new era (or described as such)

Sir Nigel of Southgate publicly snubs Bojo at Buckingham Palace shindig and becomes the next PM. Crystal Palace fans feel some kind of Catholic redemption until the reality of ongoing non-premiership football sinks in. At the annual supporters gen-meeting it‘s decided to up sticks and move en masse to the Isle of Man

IdleRich

IdleRich
don’t mind you winning just as long as it’s not the start of a new era (or described as such)

Sir Nigel of Southgate publicly snubs Bojo at Buckingham Palace shindig and becomes the next PM. Crystal Palace fans feel some kind of Catholic redemption until the reality of ongoing non-premiership football sinks in. At the annual supporters gen-meeting it‘s decided to up sticks and move en masse to the Isle of Man
I want decades of English hegemony in which they dominate the sport in the same way that they came from nowhere to suddenly dominate cycling - except more so and for longer. Seems unlikely though.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
You got rid of all that dead wood - Fwank Lampard, Stevie G, Rio, Michael Owen, Becks et al plus countless useless guvnors - but that still leaves the rest of the world to compete against and the existential wound that is English World Cup hopes

Nothing‘s as dangerous as hope

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's the hope that kills you... what's weird is everyone in England seems to think it's already won when - at best - there is a fifty fifty chance. At best.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I mean, Italy have looked pretty good, but they don't have any kind of mystique as in the past.... we know all about Joginho, we've seen teams with Veratti or Chilellini beaten in the Champions League by teams with Sterling or Mount or whatever. And vice versa of course. That's not to say England will win, but these players play in the same leagues at the same levels and they know they deserve to be on the pitch with them.

version

It's the hope that kills you... what's weird is everyone in England seems to think it's already won when - at best - there is a fifty fifty chance. At best.
Do they though? I feel like that sort of thing's drenched in sarcasm and piss(taking) when it comes from the English. I guess it's different this time because we're actually in the final, but I expect it's at least partly "banter".

craner

Beast of Burden
I mean, Italy have looked pretty good, but they don't have any kind of mystique as in the past.... we know all about Joginho, we've seen teams with Veratti or Chilellini beaten in the Champions League by teams with Sterling or Mount or whatever. And vice versa of course. That's not to say England will win, but these players play in the same leagues at the same levels and they know they deserve to be on the pitch with them.

Doesn’t that make the whole thing even more boring?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Do they though? I feel like that sort of thing's drenched in sarcasm and piss(taking) when it comes from the English. I guess it's different this time because we're actually in the final though.
Ah I dunno, I'm not there of course so it's a bit second hand. But reading about them celebrating reaching the final on a bus. You know.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Doesn’t that make the whole thing even more boring?
Sure once upon a time teams from other countries were barely known and from other continents were a total mystery. Neymar may do the flip flap better than Rivelino ever did but he won't surprise people with it in the same way.

version

The national teams aren't as distinctive these days anyway tbh. One team might press harder or prefer to keep the ball a bit more than another, but everyone's generally quite good technically and very functional. You don't watch Brazil or the Dutch expecting "Brazilian flair" or "Total Football".