version

I haven't really caught the gist of this thread at all but it's always good to get clin's chat. And garlic bread is quite an important topic.
The gist of it's that current tech's producing a twisted version of transparency where the public are encouraged to share more and more of themselves.

catalog

Oh yeah. OK. I've not got anything clever, useful or funny to say about that. But yes, mimesis seems about right. In that once you see someone 3lse has put a firework up their arse, you might be more likely to do it yourself.

Constant oversharing in the hope that something original might come out?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
There could just be a cultural learning curve for all this, correlated to the rising percentage of the population that cut their social teeth with the internet as backdrop/medium.

catalog

I just think it's all about getting as thin as possible. Cut up, opened out, rolled thin. No depth, all surface. Holes appear. Cos its thin. You show yourself, it's not good enough, roll yourself thinner.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I see that, and I'd say its related to the average person's information throughput, as if there is a tradeoff between quality and quantity. That is, one can't cursorily scroll down through deep, nuanced content. There seems to be a compression of information that comes at the cost of robustness, save for whatever skilled content providers can reconcile the two.

Plus perhaps little appetite for real/unsexy content.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
And if all one is doing is broadcasting thin content (good descriptor there), it follows that one may feel hollow or that one's existence is devoid of meaning.

catalog

Yeah. Internet is not what was promised, loud and repetitive voices prevail etc. We all know it, but we're so thin, we can't do owt about it.

version

I just think it's all about getting as thin as possible. Cut up, opened out, rolled thin. No depth, all surface. Holes appear. Cos its thin. You show yourself, it's not good enough, roll yourself thinner.
r08ae51oq6871.png

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I do think this is an area where the onus is primarily on the individual. At least, unless we get to the point where the internet is partitioned by paywalls or clearance passes or some such. But for now there is nothing, save for perhaps a shortage of time, preventing one from seeking out deeper content.

catalog

Yeah that's a good way of putting it.

But I mean, visually alone. You roll something thin enough, it literally becomes see through.

Just to bring it back to garlic bread for a second, thd optimum thickness of a homemade pizza base is one you can see through if yoh hold it up to the light.

catalog

I do think this is an area where the onus is primarily on the individual. At least, unless we get to the point where the internet is partitioned by paywalls or clearance passes or some such. But for now there is nothing, save for perhaps a shortage of time, preventing one from seeking out deeper content.
A shortage of time and a plethora of distractions on the exact same platform. I was saying to someone that a problem with VR is that no one has a headset, so I wanted to make something for phones and they replied that phones can do everything else as well. So you might as well work on thd new hardware where you are more likely to catch their attention.

version

That screenshot explains it pretty well. It's the idea that the individual becomes so emptied out they just become a node in a network, something for information to pass through. Think of what happens to people who obsessively follow the news or post nothing but memes.

catalog

Oh I see. Like when you are so bottomed out on or just after a bender and all of its just going through you and it can feel it as such.