Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Seems like that sort of depression, perhaps even depression more broadly, has something to do with feeling like the problem is so overbearing that any attempt to change it will only end in one's own exhaustion and demotivation, so you get a sort of demotivated-by-default state of lethargy and hopelessness.

With being against capitalism, specifically single-bottom-line capitalism, one is up against hundreds of trillions of dollars that don't abide by the ethical compulsions that you do, that you want them to.

Not familiar enough with the neuroscience, but I get the sense that we are effectively wired in ways that predispose our conscious activity to a large extent, so I wouldn't just discount the science as being co-opted by corporate interests that want to snuff out any complaints about the current state of affairs.

That is, I wouldn't say that neuroscientific accounts of depression are just capitalist abdications of systematic alienation.

sus

Think it was that Slothrop guy me and Luka like on Twitter who was saying something the other day about feeling we're being pushed into a scenario where all communication runs through centralised, heavily-regulated networks.
Get on Urbit, Are.na, Telegram, Obsidian, MirrorXYZ, etc

I get these concerns but they're boomer concerns. Things you should fret for your grandparents. The kids are resisting with ease and style. The future is decentralized.

sus

we already have been. even the terrorists have to go through the same channels lol
Except... What was it pre Internet? You used the phones or the post. Or traveled in person. All those things are still available. But you can also use Twitter, or a million Web 2.0 apps, or send encrypted messages on dozens of platforms, or use Web3, or...

The possibilities multiply rather than constrict

It's like the single vs double tap debate app over again. The concept we want is "intrinsic empowerment": all else equal more options wins.

sus

but to get those relevant ads, you need to allow access to your brain. is that a fair exchange just to get 15% off your next pizza?
Nahh don't kid yourself they don't need to do that, we are predictable enough.

linebaugh

I like how advertising profiles differ across sites. Instagram and tik tok's are very adept, but according to youtube Im a spanish speaking member of the mens rights movement

Last edited:

Leo

instagram on desktop has no ads, which is a nice break. actually a little jarring when you go back to the mobile app and every third post is an ad.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like how advertising profiles differ across sites. Instagram and tik tok's are very adept, but according to youtube Im a spanish speaking member of the mens0 rights movement
These algorithms clearly still have a way to go, don't they? Like when you buy something on Amazon and then suddenly wherever you look on the internet, there's ads for that exact product, or something almost identical. Which you obviously don't then immediately rush to buy, because you've already got one, durrr.

Leo

also when you look online for a gift for someone else, then get followed by ads for that thing which you personally have no interest in.

linebaugh

These algorithms clearly still have a way to go, don't they? Like when you buy something on Amazon and then suddenly wherever you look on the internet, there's ads for that exact product, or something almost identical. Which you obviously don't then immediately rush to buy, because you've already got one, durrr.
I wonder how much of that is dependent on the function of the app itself or the strength of the algorithm. (do different apps have their own proprietary algorithms or is are they all using roughly the same mechanics? @suspended ?) Instagrams ad's have me tempted all the time but thats a much more personal platform