Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
but to get those relevant ads, you need to allow access to your brain. is that a fair exchange just to get 15% off your next pizza?
I actually appreciate the prospects of robust datasets derived from sets of humans wearing EEG headsets and just going about their normal life. Getting paid for their data as a supplement to getting paid for their labor.

Once I have a better footing in neuroscience, I'd be up for wearing a headset day in and day out, provided there aren't any health risks, which I don't think there are.

• Love
Reactions: Leo

luka

@luka what is that book about sleep

• 'None of you realize it yet, but this is as big an advance as the step the first ichthyoid took out of the protozoic sea 300 million years ago. At last we've freed the mind, raised it out of that archaic sump called sleep, its nightly retreat into the medulla. With virtually one cut of the scalpel we've added twenty years to those men's lives.'

'I only hope they know what to do with them,' Morley commented.

'Come, John,' Neill snapped back. 'That's not an argument. What they do with the time is their responsibility anyway. They'll make the most of it, just as we've always made the most, eventually, of any opportunity given us. It's too early to think about it yet, but visualize the universal application of our technique. For the first time Man will be living a full twenty-four hour day, not spending a third of it as an invalid, snoring his way through an eighthour peepshow of infantile erotica.'

Tired, Neill broke off and rubbed his eyes. 'What's worrying you?'

Morley made a small, helpless gesture with one hand. 'I'm not sure, it's just that I...' He played with the plastic brain mounted on a stand next to the blackboard. Reflected in one of the frontal whorls was a distorted image of Neill, with a twisted chinless face and vast domed cranium. Sitting alone among the desks in the empty lecture room he looked like an insane genius patiently waiting to take an examination no one could set him.

Morley turned the model with his finger, watched the image blur and dissolve. Whatever his doubts, Neill was probably the last person to understand them.

'I know all you've done is close off a few of the loops in the hypothalamus, and I realize the results are going to be spectacular. You'll probably precipitate the greatest social and economic revolution since the Fall. But for some reason I can't get that story of Chekov's out of my mind - the one about the man who accepts a million-rouble bet that he can't shut himself up alone for ten years. He tries to, nothing goes wrong, but one minute before the time is up he deliberately steps out of his room. Of course, he's insane.'

'So?'

'I don't know. I've been thinking about it all week.'

Neill let out a light snort. 'I suppose you're trying to say that sleep is some sort of communal activity and that these three men are now isolated, exiled from the group unconscious, the dark oceanic dream. Is that it?'

'Maybe.'

'Nonsense, John. The further we hold back the unconscious the better. We're reclaiming some of the marshland. Physiologically sleep is nothing more than an inconvenient symptom of cerebral anoxaemia. It's not that you're afraid of missing, it's the dream. You want to hold onto your front-row seat at the peepshow.'

luka

I think there could be a major potential flip regarding consumerism, about positively incorporating brands into one's identity, in a way that feels less like a corporate invasion of the psyche. I think the arrangements could be interpreted differently, from both a corporate and consumer perspective.

Form the former, brands and products would rely on "community leaders" to foster the sort of impressions made by the brand/product.

Anyway it seems this kind of widespread dissatisfaction with being reduced to a consumer, factors into the kind of prevailing dystopian perspective which predominantly seems fueled by climate change and profound wealth inequality, i.e. "corporate feudalism".

It'll only be that bad if single-bottom-line reasoning is still the dominant reasoning, and that is becoming less tenable, with people seeming to be holding brands to higher ethical standards, combined with liberal democratic efforts toward sustainable global economy.

Isn't it the classic freedom to eat cake, to diversify an assumed lesuire and to choose out of the diversity which is precisely the commodity-spectacle of a predisposed array, clearwrapped in unitised portion control?

Isn't the supermarket the correct analogy where the consumer is generically trained to value a freedom of choice precisely fetishised by the brand alternatives of late capitalism, the wonderfully smart play of vacuity by which the reader if the labels can rustle up preference, advice, loyalty, thrift, all the bound emotional habits of an old humanism now afloat within the play of signs within which the consumer's arbitration is a highly efficient instrument to maintain market saturation and to ration the efficiencies of decision control?

Prynne's letter to Mcaffery

luka

i do very firmly believe that there is no inner life. you can hold onto a secret perhaps, but a secret doesn't constitute an inner life. all of that has been exploded and flattened out. there is only one consistent plane we all occupy. there is no inside and outside.

Spring. The primroses are out
and the worst has already happened.
The Threshold has been crossed. There
is no longer any Inside, any Out. No
Sanctuary, no Stronghold, no Escape
no Hiding Place. Horror
beyond endurance and here,
we endure. Hell.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I would say it depends on what you call inner life. If by inner life we mean one's role in one's own imaginary reality, I would say that our inner lives are more developed than ever, seeing as we now curate our images more than ever, granted a sort of breathing room for reflection.

But if by inner life you mean something almost hermetically sealed from outer reality, than yes I would say our inner lives have been largely if not entirely compromised, at least in the hyperconnected places of the world.

I personally don't think we are at the one common plane yet, but that does seem to be where we are going

haji

lala
I would say it depends on what you call inner life. If by inner life we mean one's role in one's own imaginary reality, I would say that our inner lives are more developed than ever, seeing as we now curate our images more than ever, granted a sort of breathing room for reflection.

But if by inner life you mean something almost hermetically sealed from outer reality, than yes I would say our inner lives have been largely if not entirely compromised, at least in the hyperconnected places of the world.

I personally don't think we are at the one common plane yet, but that does seem to be where we are going
I read a generally rubbish article recently about all this, it had one very good point though about how our communal experiences have been shattered into fragments because we all use individual devices (no longer watching the same tv schedules, not sitting together in the theatre any more) there are lots of implications about how we can no longer share understanding of e.g. politics, and are becoming more extreme and polarised etc,

But i think the identity formation via these devices and how we are projecting ourselves, just as you say, is an even weirder effect. embodying our inner lives and deep issues by turning them inside out online like one of those deep sea creature dragged up to the surface

very fishy on dissensus today🐠

luka

how our communal experiences have been shattered into fragments because we all use individual devices

theres a contradiction here

Leo

people use those individual devices to connect with others, to mobilize and to share content/emotions, so there is a form of communal experience.

haji

lala
people use those individual devices to connect with others, to mobilize and to share content/emotions, so there is a form of communal experience.
yeah but we can't rely any more on having shared the same online experiences as anyone else, we can choose our content (e.g. music or films) to suit our preferences, and the platforms also try and filter it to conform to our individual desires,

Last edited:

haji

lala
so no 2 people have the same experiences any more, unlike when we all danced together at the one big disco in town, or all watched the same crap bbc2 drama as there was no other options

luka

so no 2 people have the same experiences any more, unlike when we all danced together at the one big disco in town, or all watched the same crap bbc2 drama as there was no other options
yeah we do, you said so yourself. we all use individual devices.

luka

in all important ways it is identical. except i dont have a smartphone but if i did it would be indistinguishable