craner

Beast of Burden
Yes, I think in your irritation you've made a big leap here. I have never said that events don't have causes.

luka

Yes, I think in your irritation you've made a big leap here. I have never said that events don't have causes.
you literally did. i quote 'events have no causes'. you refuse to entertain the idea of an event having a cause.

craner

Beast of Burden
Your 'thought experiment' is that all of the events in the world are controlled by, um, a controller, and that's what I was responding to.

luka

Your 'though experiment' is that all of the events in the world are controlled by, um, a controller, and that's what I was responding to.
thats not really the case is it. this is why i gave the example of neoliberalism. now fair enough you take the marxist understanding of neoliberalism to be conspiratorial and anti-semitic, youre consistent but...

luka

other people look at trends and see patterns, and ask, who is this for and what is making it happen. and that is not, in and of itself, mad.

craner

Beast of Burden
thats not really the case is it. this is why i gave the example of neoliberalism. now fair enough you take the marxist understanding of neoliberalism to be conspiratorial and anti-semitic, youre consistent but...

Are you on drugs?

luka

luka

'It's a fictional narrative assembled out of carefully selected data.'

now this is precisely what i am interested in.

craner

Beast of Burden

That's true, the 'The History of Neoliberalism' is a conspiratorial pamphlet.

craner

Beast of Burden
'It's a fictional narrative assembled out of carefully selected data.'

now this is precisely what i am interested in.

That makes some sense.

But the flaw always seems to be the desire to locate the great data controllers who are creating one narrative for the entire world.

luka

That makes some sense.

But the flaw always seems to be the desire to locate the great data controllers who are creating one narrative for the entire world.
if you get stuck on the idea of one single group who run the world, then yes. but if you are so scared of the idea that you dismiss any suggestion that there might be organised agendas pushed by powerful groups, i think this is also a problem

luka

groupname for grapejuice was under heavy juju for years (as he tells it) menaced by the idea of just that, the illuminati controling all things.
now he preaches spaghetti theory

craner

Beast of Burden
I am allergic to these kind of conspiracy theories because it is myth-making for defined ends. The ends are dangerous. It is all ultimately linked to sectarian, exclusionary, apocalyptic or Utopian thinking, and the end point is mass murder.

This has nothing to do with you Luke, because for you it is a strategy of the imagination, but irrationalism, nationalism and apocalyptic thinking is on the rise again, this kind of stuff is affecting mainstream perceptions, and feeding off and creating a lot of fears and desires. To me, it's not good.