Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The only thing we've established is that you are out of the progressive loop and willing to sell the much maligned otherkin down the river. You still haven't told us that you recognise they exist!
This is just what I'm talking about in the other thread. You've openly sided here with people who'd happily shove trans kids into gas chambers while trying to convince me that you care very much about the poor hungry kiddiewinks in Africa, whose suffering as apparently being solely caused by the UK's pandemic response.

mixed_biscuits

This is just what I'm talking about in the other thread. You've openly sided here with people who'd happily shove trans kids into gas chambers while trying to convince me that you care very much about the poor hungry kiddiewinks in Africa, whose suffering as apparently being solely caused by the UK's pandemic response.
The "progressives" have been doing a good job of appearing calm(ish) in the last couple of pages and now you turn up with your ridiculous histrionics.

The point is not that their suffering is caused by the pandemic policy but that it could have been alleviated by the same wodge of cash that was splurged on lockdown.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The point is not that their suffering is caused by the pandemic policy but that it could have been alleviated by the same wodge of cash that was splurged on lockdown.
And yet I've never heard a peep out of you about the vast sums governments spend on subsidizing the fossil fuel industry, or that they never see in the first place due to widespread tax avoidance by corporations or ultra-wealthy individuals, or even the billions lost just by our government in just the last couple of years through fraudulent claims on the pandemic relief fund.

mixed_biscuits

And yet I've never heard a peep out of you about the vast sums governments spend on subsidizing the fossil fuel industry, or that they never see in the first place due to widespread tax avoidance by corporations or ultra-wealthy individuals, or even the billions lost just by our government in just the last couple of years through fraudulent claims on the pandemic relief fund.
I think you're highlighting your own inconsistency there lol

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Why would it take any effort to dispatch your terrible contributions?

Remember when you said early lockdowns were brief and effective before finding out your poster-boy example was NZ, who had a long lockdown and over 2 million cases? That's the kind of thing I'm dealing with here.
They had one nation-wide lockdown that lasted less time than ours did - both of them, I think. And while they had a big surge in cases late on in the pandemic, they obviously did something right, because their overall death rate has been a small fraction of ours.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Both of you seem remarkably resistant to the idea that reducing the rate at which an infectious disease spreads might, in fact, reduce the total number of people who catch it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'll stop posting about covid stuff in this thread after this, since it's not the right thread, but probably part of the reason for NZ's low death rate despite a big surge in cases late on in the pandemic was that they managed to keep the virus out in the first two years, when the dominant variants were highly virulent. It only spread there in a big way in 2022, when the most common variant was omicron, which is highly transmissable but much less virulent.

1687786324695.png

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
to get back on track

having read a little more about the cat story, it seems to me that what happened is a middle-school kid got bullied, a teacher stood up for the kid, and basically the entire weight of the UK govt (as well as the ofc usual British media/social media TERF/GC crowd) decided to weigh in and double down on the bullying. so yunno, great job UK govt, top marks on both compassion and sensible use of resources to bully a tween.

sidenote: no one should listen to anything Kemi Badenoch says about really any issue, but in particular no one should ever listen to anything she has to say about queer or trans people. she is a well-documented bigot.

padraig (u.s.)

and to address the "it's the same logic" thing. I'm only going to do this once, because it's very clearly a bad faith argument, but let's get it out of the way.

it is, like many transphobic attacks, a slightly (if at all) repackaged retread of homophobic attacks previously deployed against gay marriage, legalization of non-heterosexual sex and relationships, and more broadly/loosely social acceptance of queer people, i.e. "if we let gay people marry each other then next we'll be letting people marry dogs, children, etc". which obviously hasn't happened, because it was nonsense then and it's nonsense now.

the logic is not the same. everyone here surely understands the difference - which is why it's a bad faith argument - between sex and gender. if you look upthread somewhere we do not get into the nuance of biological sex - i.e. not everyone is born XX or XY - but clearly it exists as an immutable (well, until science discovers a way to make it mutable) fact. whereas gender is a social construct, something so obvious as to be self-evident if you do even a cursory examination of the enormous range and variety of ways in which gender has been expressed in different cultures across human history. that all humans are human is also a biological fact. having said that, I don't really care if someone says "I'm a cat", but they shouldn't expect a level of accomodation for that self-identification - and indeed, it doesn't exist. there is no equivalent of gender-affirming care to become a cat. and there is no school anywhere that has a litter box for a self-identified cat to use. but it's an excellent RW talking point for unscrupulous politicians and social media grifters who dgaf about the truth bc unlike here, there are probably many people out there who don't understand the difference between sex and gender, just as there were (and still are, if less) people who thought gay marriage would cause the downfall of society for...reasons. and it should be treated just as seriously as it deserves, i.e. not at all.

padraig (u.s.)

not everyone is born XX or XY
addendum 1: reminder that the thundering silence of U.S. RW transphobes, TERFs, et al in re non-consensual surgery performed on intersex infants and children to make them conform to the gender binary is all the proof you need that this isn't about protecting children

padraig (u.s.)

that all humans are human is also a biological fact.
addendum 2: anyone who is familiar with biology, Darwin, evolution, etc will know that there is no hard and fast line between species and varieties when defining things. or in other words, it's difficult to say where exactly a species ends and another begins. I don't want get sidetracked on that bc it's not relevant here - there's no disagreement that all humans are humans - but I thought I'd mention it before some genius jumps in with "well acksually...".

version

to get back on track

having read a little more about the cat story, it seems to me that what happened is a middle-school kid got bullied, a teacher stood up for the kid, and basically the entire weight of the UK govt (as well as the ofc usual British media/social media TERF/GC crowd) decided to weigh in and double down on the bullying. so yunno, great job UK govt, top marks on both compassion and sensible use of resources to bully a tween.

sidenote: no one should listen to anything Kemi Badenoch says about really any issue, but in particular no one should ever listen to anything she has to say about queer or trans people. she is a well-documented bigot.

Someone on Twitter's claiming at least one journalist looking to cover these stories is offering cash.

Maybe there are legitimate cases, but it also seems like easy money to just tell them what they want to hear and I'm sure they're well aware of that and don't really care.

padraig (u.s.)

ah yes, a poll by an account repeatedly retweeting Jake Shields - who 2 months ago called for the public execution of any providing gender-affirming care to minors, among an endless list of terrible and untrue things he's said about queer people - is definitely something that should be taken seriously

I'm sure that none of the respondents are bots or incels or trolls, that they're all good faith responders who have actual children

happily allying with Nazis is 100% on-brand tho