GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I see what you mean, but it isn't overtly referencing a very particular style of the past, and it doesn't sound consciously "deep", and that is what appeals to me. I don't necessarily see that sound as the answer, but it is the beginning of a route I've been waiting for since that dubstep dark garage revival (a la Burial, TRG, etc.) didn't do for me, and neither did funky.

Go listen to Untold's "Anaconda". It sounds like Ice Rink 2009! Or Shortstuff's "A Rustling". These tunes are quite uncouth.

gumdrops

i dont mind burials take on 2step tho - that first album was blinding. yeah he used 2 step rhythms but he made it sound so diff cos of how he treated the drums etc that you could barely hear the beats. its not like he was trying to make it sound good in a club. these guys arent really doing what burial did, its like more standard 2step programming but with wonky/dubsteppy/idmy type synths on top that seem to be going for more 'complexity' (some of it is that kinda ultra ultra exuberant type of diplo thing, other times its trying to sound deep and serious).

i like ananconda. wish more untold tracks were like that.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
whats wrong with glamour?

the state of some of the ppl that go to dubstep nights and i start wishing i'd brought a shower hose.

Glamour is one thing, exclusivity is another. I think that was what was at the heart of a lot of people's objections to the garage scene. (Whether that view actually corresponded to the way things were at garage nights, I couldn't tell you). I do hate that 'professionally scruffy' sort of look too, though.

Also I agree with what Sick Boy is saying about the recent Untold/Shortstuff/Brackles etc type stuff. Feeling it quite a lot at the mo.

alex

Do not read this.

the state of some of the ppl that go to dubstep nights and i start wishing i'd brought a shower hose.

not really what i meant, a lot of peoples view is that it got taken over by a "cocaine champagne" crowd (from what i read) and people who were originally there for the beats, sorta lost interest i suppose??

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
not really what i meant, a lot of peoples view is that it got taken over by a "cocaine champagne" crowd (from what i read) and people who were originally there for the beats, sorta lost interest i suppose??

Indeed, what could these kind of people ever have to offer the world of music? :p

But yeah, cocaine's an evil drug...creates a shitty vibe.

Blackdown

nexKeysound

yeah exactly. this is kinda missing the point of garage. it's like saying 'i really wish we could have garage without all those urban people and all that multiculturalism.'

most people who think like that have spent the second half of this decade chomping down humble pie once dubstep blew up. 'oh, i didnt really follow garage, i thought it was all commercial and fake-bling bling.'*

*"i made this judgement after seeing Craig David on ToTP once. My internet "friends" on DOA all told me i was right, so i now blame them"

i like new school 2step but it needs to be ruff and rude. people who tepidly bite burial tracks focus on how they think the beat is done and the ambient pads and ignore how dark and deadly their underbelly's are.

gumdrops

yeah exactly. this is kinda missing the point of garage. it's like saying 'i really wish we could have garage without all those urban people and all that multiculturalism.'

haha. i dont think ive ever heard anyone say that but i really want to.

agreed on the ruff and rude thing (though part of me thinks there should be a place for all of it, just look at burial after all). though a lot of early proto dubstep wasnt really properly ruff and rude either was it? not compared to some agent x or PAUG at least....

benjybars

village elder.
yeah exactly. this is kinda missing the point of garage.

yeah true to an extent.

but at the same time your notes on the FWD website talk about how

'Back when FWD started 2step garage was peaking: all swing and bling. FWD» was born as a place for London's underground headz who preferred grimey sounds to glitzy garms'

i guess it's all about finding that meeting point between Dane Bowers and Burial...

Burial - Ghost Hardware (Dane Bowers Vocal Cut) - White Label

yeah.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
yeah true to an extent.

but at the same time your notes on the FWD website talk about how

'Back when FWD started 2step garage was peaking: all swing and bling. FWD» was born as a place for London's underground headz who preferred grimey sounds to glitzy garms'

i guess it's all about finding that meeting point between Dane Bowers and Burial...

yeah.

oh yeah, dont get me wrong, the bling thing isn't me personally, i'm just bored of people writing it off, as too much amazing music has come out of the communities involved.

the anti-bling aspect of early fwds came most strongly from zed bias if i recall, though if the producers were into darker flavours they must have been on that tip either implicitly or explicitly.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
Crazy Cousins - Bongo Jam (Loefah Remix) - White Label

yer on a roll... :)

benjybars

village elder.

yer on a roll... :)

yeah i should really stop spending my spare time dreaming up fantasy white label releases..

but..

^^
that should really happen.

mms

sometimes

most people who think like that have spent the second half of this decade chomping down humble pie once dubstep blew up. 'oh, i didnt really follow garage, i thought it was all commercial and fake-bling bling.'*

*"i made this judgement after seeing Craig David on ToTP once. My internet "friends" on DOA all told me i was right, so i now blame them"

i like new school 2step but it needs to be ruff and rude. people who tepidly bite burial tracks focus on how they think the beat is done and the ambient pads and ignore how dark and deadly their underbelly's are.

Yes but also what is wrong with looking great, why do ppl have to apologise for it?
Spending some of the cash you've worked like a dog to earn during the week etc. I know this can get out of hand etc, withdraw into money spending contests, especially when a stimulant like cokes involved, but another example might be the rather handsome crowds at benji b's deviation nights, all scrubbed up, and togged up, some gorgeous girls etc, compared to a dubstep night where quite often blim holes are a badge of honour.

This is all probably good material for another thread, but a weird undercurrent of the numm or whatever is the links in clothing, i mean clothing wise, dubstep's closer to the spirit of rave than garage, some of the raving gear - esp stuff like global hypercolour positivley accentuated the sweatyness of raving, and the same kinda lack of dressing up goes on in dubstep, although you don't get the ladies in tight gym gear, the links thru garage > funky is dressing up again
while in a way jungle > grime has a kind of downcast militancy to it, fatigues, vests boots for jungle, hoods up all the way for grime.