questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

several slimzee sets have this little bit of female singing with 60s-style fingerclicks in that goes

"said you don't know nothing, til you know that i love youooooo
baby i know i can reeeach you, i'll showwww you, i'll teach youoooooooo"

and i am utterly addicted to it. what is it? is it in fact the start of 'i luv u' on some vinyl or one-away version? cos 'i luv u' drops straight after it on slim's sidewinder bday special

It's on the dubplates for I Luv U with Dizzee saying the name of the DJ in question over it. There's a Karnage set somewhere on the site where said clip says DJ Karnage; it sounds odd because it says something other than Slimzee, for me. I don't know who sings it.
As for Ronettes grime, there are a few Dolla The Dustman beats that do this. There's one on Mercston's CD for example.

mos dan

fact music
safe for that slackk. i have mercston's cd but i shd check some more dolla maybe.. mixing 60s girlgroups and grime may not be an obvious thing to do, but i do like it.

actually blackjack's 'oh yes' is (obviously) taken from 'please mr postman', now i think about it. this is like some kind of grime pub quiz/trivia game lol

Logan

Grime Guru
several slimzee sets have this little bit of female singing with 60s-style fingerclicks in that goes

"said you don't know nothing, til you know that i love youooooo
baby i know i can reeeach you, i'll showwww you, i'll teach youoooooooo"

and i am utterly addicted to it. what is it? is it in fact the start of 'i luv u' on some vinyl or one-away version? cos 'i luv u' drops straight after it on slim's sidewinder bday special

I have it on CD somewhere

mos dan

fact music
Call that a knife? This is a knife!
http://rapidshare.com/files/142683322/Mak_10_B2B_Spyro_Xmas_special_2007.mp3

I know you've probably heard it anyway but any excuse.

this xmas special, what's the tune called that kicks it off.. it's so over-familiar, but i never know what all those classic ukg tracks are actually called. don't dj/bad memory etc :) it starts

"ooh na na na / ooh na naaa
don't matter bout the games you play / doesn't matter what your friends might say"

hint

party record with a siren
What do the male voice samples say in "Warning" by Firefox & 4Tree?

Yeah make it *something* bad boy
*something* kosher raggamuffin

you wot?

When I *something* on the mic
*something something something*

I beg your pardon?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
actually blackjack's 'oh yes' is (obviously) taken from 'please mr postman', now i think about it. this is like some kind of grime pub quiz/trivia game lol

That's the sample, but that tune is more likely a refix of Dipset rapper Juelz Santana's hit single, "Oh Yes", sampling the same thing. Came out around the same time.

mos dan

fact music
That's the sample, but that tune is more likely a refix of Dipset rapper Juelz Santana's hit single, "Oh Yes", sampling the same thing. Came out around the same time.

true true, it's the same kind of chipmunked speed innit.. i used to like the juelz version a lot, but now i can't listen to it without wanting nasty to come in at grime speed.

john eden

male pale and stale
The black writting under the log in names. Rolling Stones songs right (yes I googled ) ? Any reason why ?

There's a facility on the board for people to get new subtitles depending on how much they have posted. I think Woebot initially set these up as Beatles tunes, then the Stones.

People can change them and add their own in "User CP" at the top. Possibly you can only do this after you have made a few posts.

so in summary - "for a laff". ;)

gumdrops

does any other genre use vinyl/12" doubles as much as hip hop? i know in hip hop, deejays used to have to keep it going for rappers to keep rapping and then theres the whole scratching/turntablism thing, but do dance music deejays ever keep a particular part going like a hip hop deejay did/does? did house deejays used to? i know early house deejays did their own extended edits of disco tunes but that wasnt done via manipulation of the actual vinyl records FAIK. or did/do they? do any techno deejays do this? or do techno records just go on and on in the same fashion for so long that they dont need to? :p

been wondering this for ages when listening to grime sets - sometimes it would be nice if the deejay extended a beat rather than just cut into a different one. with cdjs, it would be SO easy to do. not like the old days when youd have to cut dubplates/acetates etc.

nomos

Administrator
i know early house deejays did their own extended edits of disco tunes but that wasnt done via manipulation of the actual vinyl records FAIK. or did/do they?
coincidentally i was just watching the first episode of that pump up the volume series that bbc or ch4 aired a few years ago and one of the early chicago guys (maybe farley) was talking about how they did a lot of that for a while.

Last edited:

Shonx

Shallow House
If fidget house is a joke term invented by Switch and Jesse Rose, what exactly is it and at what point does it stop being fidget and become plain deep house, electro house, etc.

And even more shamefully I say this having a foot long stack of the fuckers bought by fidget artists or found in the fidget section in front of my decks and can only mumble.. bit glitchy...mumble mumble...heavier bass...wonky synths...eclectic choice of samples...mumble.. but still can't quite put my finger on what the definition is.

Shonx

Shallow House
I just view it as a wonkier version of electro house.

But then again there's a lot of tunes that don't conform to that vibe either, not all about buzzy synths (although fair enough mostly is), seems to be more jackin than driving which is where I always felt electrohouse differed

DJ PIMP

its kind of euro b-more.....?

i love switch etc, but not so mcuh the stuff with all the glitch edits which reminds me of akufen era glitch/micro house.

echevarian

babylon sister
Well Herve definitely uses breaks similarly to club music, but it seems to get run through that glitch sensibility.

Less of a straight loop than it would be for the real thing.

Been listening to some of Lee Mortimer's stuff recently and its got a nice balance between the minimal influences and wonky basslines.

Shonx

Shallow House
Lee Mortimer's stuff is top notch - the Sawtooth Sucka alias stuff is really well done. Also worth checking Jacob London - he's been going for quite some time but his stuff is technically well done, funky as fuck and funny as hell. I do enjoy dancefloor tunes that make me laugh too.

I always feel in a way that fidget is kind of like house music if Shitmat made it