questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

doom

Public Housing
Fidget for me is House music made by guys that grew up listening to Rap. Not much use as a definition in terms of it has this n that element to it, but for me, the underlying structure/thrust of Fidget is a cut n paste, pause tape edit thing.

Just like Club music in Baltimore was House music made for/by guys that bumped Rap all day but wanted to dance all night. Hip-House has hidden in the shadows too long & is back with a vengance! :cool:

Shonx

Shallow House
Fidget for me is House music made by guys that grew up listening to Rap. Not much use as a definition in terms of it has this n that element to it, but for me, the underlying structure/thrust of Fidget is a cut n paste, pause tape edit thing.

Just like Club music in Baltimore was House music made for/by guys that bumped Rap all day but wanted to dance all night. Hip-House has hidden in the shadows too long & is back with a vengance! :cool:

Yeah, hip hop was obviously a big influence on the originators. I kind of like the return of this element, far more emphasis on groove and ideas than polished production. Although there's a lot of patchy b-more stuff, there are some gems out there, good to mash some breaks into the 4/4. Just a shame when looking for it that so many shops stick it in the breaks section...:(

straight

wings cru
new question: what was the precise moment that breaks became a complete joke? I loved the first plump DJs record when it came out and Adam freelands tectonic mix had a lot of electro/garage/proto dubstep but a couple of years down the line it was all formulaic garbage favoured by crusts and dunces.

Shonx

Shallow House
new question: what was the precise moment that breaks became a complete joke? I loved the first plump DJs record when it came out and Adam freelands tectonic mix had a lot of electro/garage/proto dubstep but a couple of years down the line it was all formulaic garbage favoured by crusts and dunces.

I keep getting the feeling that this usually occurs with any music when unimaginative*, drum and bass producers cross over en masse to a new genre (see also dubstep). I seem to think it was around the time they actually stopped using breaks, I just remember loads of reese and hard house sounds and utterly funkless drum patterns which kind of signalled the death knell. Can't put a year on it unfortunately.

*I do have to stress this, some people seem to think I'm damning an entire genre when in fact I'm only damning 98% of it:rolleyes:

elgato

I just dont know
what music did all the unimaginative techy producers do before D&B? Dub?

its also probably appropriate to consider the role that communications technology (and other factors) has played here... the internet has perhaps considerably changed the degree to which producers of that tendency can converge around a single scene or genre to express that tendency and receive the accompanying kudos from the similarly-inclined?

also, re Fidget...

i think its much harder to define now, because there is this next wave which has focused in on elements that really weren't central in the earlier days... i.e. big warping basslines! i think that the things which connects it all most is both the thing that doom mentions about cut & paste (big fat clunky samples thrown together in a wilfully incongruous manner), and a certain production aesthetic which is much harder to put a finger on - kind of strangely cartoonish and bulbous

but in the early days it seemed to me there was hardly any of that cartoon speed garage vibe, it was much more tweaky and odd, less rolling / hammering and more jumpy and convulsing - it seemed to be much more connected to / in interface with west-London deep house

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
its also probably appropriate to consider the role that communications technology (and other factors) has played here... the internet has perhaps considerably changed the degree to which producers of that tendency can converge around a single scene or genre to express that tendency and receive the accompanying kudos from the similarly-inclined?

Also presumably the availability of cheap software and hardware to do it?

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i used to really like fidget stuff but now it just seems people make up for their whiteness by using really annoying sounds and loads of changes. I like bmore and juke precisely because it is so bloody minded in using only one insanely funky loop in one song.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
ooh cool my turn to ask a question

it seemed to be much more connected to / in interface with west-London deep house

what kind of west london based producers are you talking about? was/is there a big house scene out here? connected to the broken beat west dudes?

I know so little about where I live

elgato

I just dont know
ooh cool my turn to ask a question

what kind of west london based producers are you talking about? was/is there a big house scene out here? connected to the broken beat west dudes?

I know so little about where I live

my knowledge is very sketchy, but from impressions i've got, i think it was kind connected to broken beat in sound although im not sure how connected to the 'scene'

but people like

Front Room Recordings
Freerange (actually based in East apparently but i always associate it with the other guys listed, and a fair few of the artists are West too i think
Buzzin Fly
Loungin Records
Classic (might be wrong but i always vaguely associate them with this lot

hint

party record with a siren

I think it's moved beyond that. Armand Van Helden / Masters At Work etc... they represent the generation of House producers who grew up with Hip Hop.

Whilst a love of Hip Hop certainly plays its part, I'd say that one of the defining characteristics of the Fidget scene (if there is one) is that the producers also grew up with Rave / Hardcore / Jungle.

Basement Jaxx are probably one of the early examples, I suppose, and it's grown from there.

Shonx

Shallow House
i used to really like fidget stuff but now it just seems people make up for their whiteness by using really annoying sounds and loads of changes. I like bmore and juke precisely because it is so bloody minded in using only one insanely funky loop in one song.

I like both. I'm so Benneton.:p

Client Eastwood

Where does the sample 'rydim fulla culture ya'll' come from, I probably first heard it on a PE song, Welcome to the Terrordome (?) and then on Itals Theme by Iration Rockers as they were then.

Googling it appears that Micky Dread used it for the Dread at the Controls show which im not familiar with. So is it an actual MD quote or it a sample from somewhere else ?

Shonx

Shallow House
Where does the sample 'rydim fulla culture ya'll' come from, I probably first heard it on a PE song, Welcome to the Terrordome (?) and then on Itals Theme by Iration Rockers as they were then.

Googling it appears that Micky Dread used it for the Dread at the Controls show which im not familiar with. So is it an actual MD quote or it a sample from somewhere else ?

I thought it was redeemer of fulla culture. I'm not sure if that makes more or less sense though. I'm pretty sure Mikey Dread was the original

Shonx

Shallow House
'redeemer of fulla culture' got to be a missheard lyric Shonx ;)

I'm pretty sure Beenie Man says "How can I make love to a fella in a rush, pass me the keys to my truck" in Who am I too. I think that's probably infinitely more amusing than what he actually says cars, blah blah blah, birds, blah blah blah I'm fucking wicked i am blah blah blah loadsamoney etc.

Apologies to any bir...ahem ladies reading this, I was born in the 70's. Shocking I know.