questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

Client Eastwood

I think it might be a perspective thing as it's supposed to be 3D?

But yes, moving on:

How come there are no decent UK Dub compilations these days?

Ive got a couple of old ones. But not bought any for a while. Purely cos I dont know what to buy.

Creation Rebel - Starship Africa
Alpha & Omega - Watch and Pray / Overstanding
Consious Sounds Singles compilation was OK good

Out to all the oldies - Present Arms in Dub UB40 - Yes really.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
yeah I guess they don't sell but it's frustrating for me cos it seems like there is the odd tune I will like and then the rest is identikit dour rubbish.

So I sort've need some kind of filtering system. I should probably check stryda's radio show.

i still buy the odd bit, but then living in leeds, i have a record shop that gets the latest uk-digi dub in stock so i can listen to it before buying etc.

even so, the quality/quantity ratio is really poor, with too many people releasing shite.

this is also compounded by dubplate culture- all the producing sounds have loads of amazing tracks, but you rarely hear them out, let alone hope for a release

john eden

male pale and stale
i still buy the odd bit, but then living in leeds, i have a record shop that gets the latest uk-digi dub in stock so i can listen to it before buying etc.

even so, the quality/quantity ratio is really poor, with too many people releasing shite.

this is also compounded by dubplate culture- all the producing sounds have loads of amazing tracks, but you rarely hear them out, let alone hope for a release

aye. I do have time for Gussie P and all that

Bang - just read UB40's biog, some good stuff in there!

Client Eastwood

Bang - just read UB40's biog, some good stuff in there!

Too true, they along with Aswad, Weapon of Peace, Steel Pulse, Misty etc dont get the love nowadays and released some fantastic early material. OK they didnt have the dread of JA but it was coming from UK and the style was lighter maybe even jazzier to a degree.

mms

sometimes
Too true, they along with Aswad, Weapon of Peace, Steel Pulse, Misty etc dont get the love nowadays and released some fantastic early material. OK they didnt have the dread of JA but it was coming from UK and the style was lighter maybe even jazzier to a degree.

they had that coldness that you hear in loads of british reggae, like early aswad, misty etc though, and you still hear that coldness in some of dubstep for sure, infact its the most dominant link for me.

STN

sou'wester
they had that coldness that you hear in loads of british reggae, like early aswad, misty etc though, and you still hear that coldness in some of dubstep for sure, infact its the most dominant link for me.

I totally agree with this. Maybe it's a bit pointless to pop up and say so but I've always thought this and I'm glad someone has articulated it.

Alfons

Way of the future
I've never really known all that I'd like to know about soundsystems, i.e. anything bigger than your home stereo or a pair of monitors. Does anyone know about a good source to getting into the basics of this. Basically all sorts of stuff like the difference between xlr and jack, what watts really mean in sound, decibels, self powered speakers, amps, crossover etc etc...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I've never really known all that I'd like to know about soundsystems, i.e. anything bigger than your home stereo or a pair of monitors. Does anyone know about a good source to getting into the basics of this. Basically all sorts of stuff like the difference between xlr and jack, what watts really mean in sound, decibels, self powered speakers, amps, crossover etc etc...

www.speakerplans.com
Sufi- for stryda's show, have a quick root round the B&F forums for links

DJ PIMP

Does this hi-hat/rhythm pattern have a name?

x_xxx_xxx_xxx_xx

x = hat
_ = rest

As used by everyone from Kraftwerk to people who aren't Kraftwerk.

With a kick and a snare bomping along it's so effortlessly propulsive and elegant.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
what do people mean when they talk about reese basses? What makes them? I have it in my head that a reese made the bassline in the second half of stone cold, but I don't know if that's just some bizarre conception i've picked up from nowhere.

hint

party record with a siren
A Reese bassline is a specific bass sound, named after a Kevin Saunderson alias:

In simple terms, it's made by combining 2 slightly detuned waveforms in a synth. It's not unique to a particular instrument.

Shonx

Shallow House
what do people mean when they talk about reese basses? What makes them? I have it in my head that a reese made the bassline in the second half of stone cold, but I don't know if that's just some bizarre conception i've picked up from nowhere.

This is the original track by Kevin Saunderson

http://www.dnbwiki.com/index.php/Reese

More info there. I must admit I still like the sound no matter how many times I hear it.

Client Eastwood

Hmmm, is the Reese bassline also known as the Hoover bassline ? Or this that something completly different. I've a feeling they might be the same but in techno its called Reese and in DnB its called Hoover, dunno.

hint

party record with a siren
Hmmm, is the Reese bassline also known as the Hoover bassline ? Or this that something completly different. I've a feeling they might be the same but in techno its called Reese and in DnB its called Hoover, dunno.

No - "Reese" is a d'n'b term.

A "Hoover" is more obnoxious and midrangey. I think it started with Mentasm:

mms

sometimes

the reese bass line comes from kevin sauderson who recorded as reese, the track that kinda kicked it all off is this one - very low and open, lovely you hear it all over early jungle.

THE hoover bassline is the bassline sound that originated in mentasim by joey beltram
here you go - quite fierce, its that kind of frequency ossilating mid range sobbing sound.

then there is the virus bassline which was named after the virus synth, which is the mid range ' metal' bassline that dominates drum and bass after about 1996 and eventually killed it if you ask me

if you ask me kevin saunderson doesn't get the credit he deserves, he also originated that stab sound that dave clarke stole wholesale, and in some ways, those dubbed out basic channel stabs are an invention building on his stuff. he was also one of the first people from detroit to start doing more hardcore stuff, along side model 500 as infiniti. He's easily the most creative, broadly of those Detroit guys.

Last edited: