Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumdrops

i cant believe a major record label actually agreed to that lupe design. JME could have done a better job. anyone who downloaded the leak isnt exactly being given an incentive there to buy the retail copy.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Its totally hilarious to me how The Clipse are suddenly on the 'quality hip-hop' side of the equation.

I mean they are, but no one recognized when their best album (f those mixtapes) was actually out.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Its totally hilarious to me how The Clipse are suddenly on the 'quality hip-hop' side of the equation.

I mean they are, but no one recognized when their best album (f those mixtapes) was actually out.

It got Rolling Stone top 100 albums of the year, and as a mixtape that's pretty good going!

stelfox

Beast of Burden

ahem!!! some of us did!

mistersloane

It'll be interesting to see what 'Hell Hath No Fury' soundscans at. I can't see Lupe doing anything, but got a feeling that the Clipse one might surprise people. Won't suprise Pharrell, but, y'know, peeeeeople.

mistersloane

And hot track this week?

Hi-Tek f. Jadakiss, Talib Kweli, Papoose & Raekwon - Where It Started (NY)

Production is great.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Well, Mr Me Too is one of my records of the year so far (along with Da Backwudz' I Don't Like The Look Of It, Cadillac by Trae and The Federation's I Wear My Stunna Glasses At Night) and a lot of people are thinking the same way, so I think it could possibly shift numbers, especially after how much shine the We Got It For Cheap series got

mistersloane

Well, Mr Me Too is one of my records of the year so far (along with Da Backwudz' I Don't Like The Look Of It, Cadillac by Trae and The Federation's I Wear My Stunna Glasses At Night) and a lot of people are thinking the same way, so I think it could possibly shift numbers, especially after how much shine the We Got It For Cheap series got

You know what? I think it'll be one of those creepers, where the more people who hear it, the more buy it, they're pretty much untouched in their field. The mixtape is hotter but most of the tracks I've found off it seem to be top-notch.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I've BEEN a Clipse fan since 1999!

I was a fan of The Clipse back when they were known as Terrar and Malice and not The Clipse. They had a single and video called "The Funeral" that to this day is one of my all time favorites. Lyrically and musically there's NO WAY you can front on them...Rick Ross can eat a dick sideways, though. One.

mistersloane

I was a fan of The Clipse back when they were known as Terrar and Malice and not The Clipse. They had a single and video called "The Funeral" that to this day is one of my all time favorites. Lyrically and musically there's NO WAY you can front on them...Rick Ross can eat a dick sideways, though. One.

Is it this video or was there another one? This one totally rocks

Rick Ross probably can an all, he's a huuuge guy, so I'm reserving what I say about him, regardless of what I think.

Oh, and what's the vocal sample saying on 'The Funeral' track, and who is it, pop pickers?

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Way back!

Dart just out of curiosity what do you think of David Banner?

I was a huge David Banner fan starting from his days in a dope ass group called "Crooked Lettaz" with a dude named Kamikaze. They were signed to New York indie label Penalty Records and subsidiary of Tommy Boy Records. The execs at Penalty didn't know how to market a hip hop group from Mississippi (they're dope, they make hip hop...where's the damn problem?). They decided to shelf the Crooked Lettaz "Grey Skies" LP...this made David Banner travel to New York with the intention of possibly murdering some people at the label..He showed up at the offices and demanded to see someone in charge...When he did he preceded to beat the living shit out of him...he was stopped by N.O.R.E. and the Thugged Out/Murder Unit (ironic, huh?). They told him not to catch a case over it...Needless to say, the assauly worked to a degree. Penalty Records released the Crooked Lettaz "Grey Skies" LP..with no video, lead single or promotion...Crooked Lettaz were subsequently dropped from the label.

Soon after, they broke up and David Banner began making noise doing mixtapes. He also graduated from college. He began producing beats and getting a buzz all over again. He not only got crunk and got buck but he kept it lyrical and occasional got conscious and gave back to the community...what's NOT to like?

He has become quite cynical after receiving that huge deal from SRC and not being able to generate any sales or money for the company. He blamed his lack of sales on his being TOO LYRICAL AND CONSCIOUS with his previous singles (Cadillac On 22's). He claims that he's only doing music to sell to consumers and that anyone who makes conscious music and gets mad it doesn't sell needs to keep it in their own MP3 player/CD player because the public doesn't want to hear it...Oddly enough, his obvious attempt at a hit "Play" didn't blow up and his album flopped ANYWAYS. I'm an old David Banner fan...I just hope he realizes that you can't go wrong making music from your heart...and Mississippi: The Album and MTA 2: Baptized In Holy Water were clearly made from the heart and sales don't dictate your worth or importance...No problem at all with David Banner. One.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Agree completely. There is a lot to respect about the man.

So would it be fair to say that your antipathy for most South/West Coast rap comes from the lyrical content and not the sound itself? Surely DB is working within that paradigm ... Is it his conscious leanings or the lyricalness of what he does that makes it work for you? If the latter I guess you could find quite a bit to like in the south, if the former, maybe a little more difficult, so I am guessing that is what the problem is for you, and maybe the source of a lot of these arguments ...

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
It's purely aesthetic...not content.

Agree completely. There is a lot to respect about the man.

So would it be fair to say that your antipathy for most South/West Coast rap comes from the lyrical content and not the sound itself? Surely DB is working within that paradigm ... Is it his conscious leanings or the lyricalness of what he does that makes it work for you? If the latter I guess you could find quite a bit to like in the south, if the former, maybe a little more difficult, so I am guessing that is what the problem is for you, and maybe the source of a lot of these arguments ...

I don't think it's an issue of lyrical content...just the aesthetic. I am a fan of Kool G. Rap, Ice T, Ice Cube, Schooly D, M.O.P., Scarface, The Beatnuts, Akinyele, etc. and they say some of the most ignorant, thugged out, misogynistic shit ever. One of my favorite albums ever growing up was Eazy E's "Eazy Duz It" and Ice T's "Rhyme Pays". Oddly enough, I wasn't a big N.W.A. fan...but I WAS a Ice Cube, MC Ren and Dr. Dre fan...if that makes any sense. I also didn't like Eazy E any more once Dre wasn't behind the boards or Ren and Cube weren't writing his lyrics...does that make sense to you?

I love DJ Quik, Battlecat, DJ Pooh, Chilly Chill, EA Ski, Daz, Warren G and their production. When I hear a Mannie Fresh beat, it doesn't move me...I heard "Drag Rap" back in 1989/90 and I didn't like it then...he uses the elements of that SAME BEAT in 70% of his tracks now...does NOTHING FOR ME. Shit, I JUST started liking T.I. and Lil' Wayne! I loved B.G.'s "Soulja Rags" album back when it first came out...But it wasn't gonna make me removes Company Flow's "Funcrusher Plus" or Latryx's "Lateef + Lyrics Born Are" from my tape deck back in 1997!

To most people from the East Coast/Northeast United States, most music from the South doesn't speak to them because...well, it wasn't MADE for them. This is why southern hip hop is taking over now..."New York" style rap dictated the style for 15-20 years and never acknowledged anyone else...how could a kid growing up in Houston in the 5th Ward where there are no 5 Percenters, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, bodegas on every corner and high rise projects supposed to relate to music from New York? There are burnt out buildings, dirt roads and death and drugs everywhere. Life is slower, speech is slower, music becomes deeper, slower and with more bass...Think about what Miami music is known for. Think about what Memphis music is known for. Think about what Houston music is known for. Think about what Atlanta music is known for...ALL DIFFERENT THINGS. Everyone on the East SOUNDS LIKE NEW YORK.

I like what I like and dislike what I dislike, simple as that. Most hyphy and crunk music doesn't move me, but I won't go the ignorant route and diss it altogether. There is no mathematic equation to figure WHY I don't like certain artists or producers...but you can probably guess that I WON'T like certain artists/groups based by my previous statements...I'm a riddle wrapped around an enigma. LOL. One

Status
Not open for further replies.