sufi

lala
That one is astonishingly infuriating.

My list, this is literally off the top of my head, how worrying is that?...

1.) The domestos one, I know comedians reference this one all the time, but 99.9% of bacteria gone, REALLLLY????
2.) The fucking stupid perfume ad’s, especially the one with the blonde haired guy who gets loads of photo’s taken of him, then he slumps on the couch, just completely meaningless, pointless and dumbed down. Nearly put my foot through the TV for this one.
3.) Womens shampoo ad’s and Men’s shaving ad’s, just for how patronising they are.
4.) Natwest, and all of the fucking banks, going on like they provide another service other than LOOKING AFTER MY MONEY, which you can’t even do properly. Don’t shove all this customer commitment bullshit in my face when we know you don’t give a fuck about us and only care about lining your own pockets.

---> http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?11603-Adverts-which-do-your-head-in

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
People using "party" as a verb to mean taking drugs. The interviewers in the Charlie Sheen interviews say it so much. Does my head in.

In North America it is really common to use party as a verb to pretty much mean getting fucked up on anything. Mostly people use it to mean drinking, since mostly people just drink. I never saw it as a distinctly North American expression before, but thinking about it now it makes sense.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I never used to understand what it meant, because North American people I knew applied it to situations where there was clearly no party.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
People who pretend to be vaguely left inclined, politics-wise, and then turn out to be ridiculously right to the point of using stereotypes form the Daily Mail. I went on an ill-advised blind(ish) date with one last night. Scarring.

@ Tea - done

Leo

People who pretend to be vaguely left inclined, politics-wise, and then turn out to be ridiculously right to the point of using stereotypes form the Daily Mail. I went on an ill-advised blind(ish) date with one last night. Scarring.

hope you at least had a little fun with it...if i know i'm never going to see a person like that again, i kind of like to engage them in discussion and, in a friendly way, challenge those beliefs. ask in a non-confrontational way why they feel that way, present counterpoints that disprove some of their core beliefs, etc. i don't have any illusions that i'll change their minds, but it can be fun to play with their head a bit and maybe at least give them something to think about.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
hope you at least had a little fun with it...if i know i'm never going to see a person like that again, i kind of like to engage them in discussion and, in a friendly way, challenge those beliefs. ask in a non-confrontational way why they feel that way, present counterpoints that disprove some of their core beliefs, etc. i don't have any illusions that i'll change their minds, but it can be fun to play with their head a bit and maybe at least give them something to think about.

i genuinely felt quite depressed afterwards, and just went round to a friend's place to smoke about a million cigarettes and jabber about how awful it was.

i did challenge her beliefs, but she seemed to be saying that cutting disability benefits (to the point where people have threatened to commit suciide if it goes ahead, as told in various newspaper articles), while defintiely a bad thing, needed to be seen in the context of the 'deficit'. And then she started talking about 'benefit fraud'. it got worse after that.

it was an internet date, and I just re-looked at her online 'profile'. Apparentl she considers herself 'very atractive' (huge cough, she was a'ite but rather....gaunt), and only dates white or mixed race men. If I'd looked more thoroughly beforehand....

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
People who seem to think everyone has as much money as them, and don't perform any sort of negotiation with people who might like to pay less. Particularly annoying when the paying over the odds comes as part of a 'turning, quite swiftly, into one's own bourgeois parents' package.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Why is everyone in Europe crapping themselves about nuclear power just because of what's happened in Japan? The worst 'earthquakes' here tend to result in a few broken chimney pots and some terrified cats...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I've been using the Guardian's Soulmates intenet dating thing for a bit (with depressing consequences as posted on one of the other threads before). Read email exchange below (Hywel =me) and comment! :eek:

>
> On 2011-03-18 at 17:39:00, you wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> Generally you run a very good site. But I think there's one thing that
> should be brought to your attention, and which, as a site run as part of a
> newspaper that holds itself to be left-leaning, you should give some
> consideration to.
>
> On your 'ideal match' criteria, you include 'ethnicity' as one criterion
> for members to pick and choose with. Surely you don't ascribe to the
> cringeworthy and pathetic excuse that selecting partners on the basis of
> their skin colour is 'personal preference/type', whereas of course, for
> anyone viewing it with half a brain, it is a clear manifestation of racial
> prejudice?
>
> Granted, viewing potential partners' answers to this 'question' is a
> helpful filter for those of us who would prefer not to go out with racists,
> but it is rather strange to me that it is a criterion by which members of
> Guardian Soulmates can filter.
>
> Have you ever considered putting a 'disabled: yes/no/either' criterion in
> your 'ideal match' section? No, I don't think you have.
>
> Best
>
> Hywel
>

> Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 09:32:20 +0000
> From: support@guardiansoulmates.co.uk
>
> Hi Hywel

> Thank you for your email as we always appreciate feedback from our members.
>
> I would however reassure you that the purpose of the section on your ideal
> match profile regarding ethnicity, is purely to provide all our members with
> varied options.
>
> As you can see, we have attempted to provide as many fields as possible on
> our profile choices, so that members can ensure they are matched with other
> users who meet their selected criteria. A great deal of thought and feedback
> from our members has taken place to ensure this suits our users needs.
>
> We have not had any feedback suggesting we include a 'disabled' option.
> However, we have passed your comments onto the developers of the site, but at
> present it is uncertain as to whether it will be possible to include the
> functionality that you have requested. However, we think that your point is a
> very valid one & will be considering it carefully.
>
> I hope this helps and you continue to enjoy the site.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jennifer
> Guardian Soulmates Support
>

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Am tempted to begin my reply with the line

"Jennifer, from where I am currently sitting, it seems to be London 2011, and not Wannsee 1942...."