Bernard Manning, R.I.P.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Hmm. Good.
Still less racist than the popular race-hate comedians of our own times tho, ie: David Walliams and Matt Lucas...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hmm. Good.
Still less racist than the popular race-hate comedians of our own times tho, ie: David Walliams and Matt Lucas...

Eh? Is there racist comedy on Little Britain? Maybe there is, I don't watch it much because I don't think it's very good, but the most 'un-PC' character I can think of is Vicky Pollard, who also happens to be the only consistently funny one...

dHarry

Fat ugly racist 'comedian'
Does his racism excuse your sizeism and appearance-based prejudice?

"It's a funny thing because [racism] is some way down the list of things he was," according to his biographer Jonathan Margolis. "He was a man of his age - and as people of his age went, he was relatively un-racist. "
- What does this mean; that we should be thankful that he didn't actually go out paki-bashing or something? Racism's a "funny thing".

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Does his racism excuse your sizeism and appearance-based prejudice?

Pffft, I knew someone would have a go at me for that.
Come on, everyone is prejudiced against fat, ugly people. That's why it's considered insulting to call someone fat and ugly, no?
If I'd called him 'stupid', would that make me prejudiced against people of low intelligence? And would you object to it?

Last edited:

dHarry

Come on, everyone is prejudiced against fat, ugly people.
- everyone including fat ugly people? That's a particularly ugly generalisation. Are you prejudiced against your fat ugly mother/uncle/brother/friends?
That's why it's considered insulting to call someone fat and ugly, no?
No, not necessarily.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: "In Nigeria being thin is not a good thing because it suggests that one cannot afford to eat. But in America when you tell someone they are thin, people say, ‘Oh, thank you’. For me that was a shock. Also to learn that ‘fat’ is a bad word. In Nigeria it’s just an adjective. "
- http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article1908943.ece

If I'd called him 'stupid', would that make me prejudiced against people of low intelligence?
Possibly. And you might have called him fat for purely descriptive reasons, but it seems to be prejudice.

I'm as guilty as the next person to occasionally indulge in thoughtless generalisations, but surely it's worse to mock those not possessing intelligence than to simply not possess it, usually for a complex of cultural, economic and educational reasons. No?

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
everyone including fat ugly people?
Then why are so many people on diets, desperate to lose weight?
I don't hate people because they're fat, that would be ridiculous - but at the same time, I'm glad I'm not fat because it's unhealthy, it compromises your quality of life and (to most people) it's not very attractive. C'est la vie.

I guess calling someone 'stupid' because they literally have a low IQ is one thing (and not a very nice thing, since there's obviously nothing they can do about it) is a bit different from calling someone 'stupid' because went on national TV and educated the nation about the dangers of a 'made-up drug' that caused a young girl to 'puke up her own pelvis-bone', for example. :)

As for the cultural-differences-underlying-what's-considered-attractive-in-wealthy-Western-countries-compared-to-Nigeria (and all that jazz), I'm well aware of the argument. But hey ho, I live in a wealthy Western country, and not Nigeria.

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I'm as guilty as the next person to occasionally indulge in thoughtless generalisations, but surely it's worse to mock those not possessing intelligence than to simply not possess it, usually for a complex of cultural, economic and educational reasons. No?

Not when they end up in charge of countries / armies!

bassnation

the abyss
Come on, everyone is prejudiced against fat, ugly people. That's why it's considered insulting to call someone fat and ugly, no?
If I'd called him 'stupid', would that make me prejudiced against people of low intelligence? And would you object to it?

i had a conversation with a 22 year old woman in a bar the other day. i was talking about being obsessed with staying slim (unbecoming for a man, but there you go). her opening gambit was "i hate fat people" - which i just found extraordinary. that this kind of prejudice could be deemed socially acceptable enough just to come out with it is beyond me. not sure her age had anything to do with it, maybe i'm just making excuses for her.

personally speaking, i hate the idea of being fat, but hating fat people? jesus. i prefer to look beyond the flesh.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
personally speaking, i hate the idea of being fat, but hating fat people? jesus. i prefer to look beyond the flesh.

Exactly. I wouldn't want to be gay, because I'd quite like to have kids of my own one day, but that's a very different thing from disliking people because they are gay.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't see anything racist or prejiudiced at all about Walliams & wotsisname. Not terribly funny but not offensive either.

There isn't a single Inuit character portrayed in a positive light. It's absolutely outrageous.

bassnation

the abyss
Did you pull?

erm.....

at the risk of undermining my whole argument about looking beyond the flesh, i chose to overlook her silly prejudiced opinions instead, put it that way!

yes, i freely admit, i am full of shit.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
i had a conversation with a 22 year old woman in a bar the other day. i was talking about being obsessed with staying slim (unbecoming for a man, but there you go). her opening gambit was "i hate fat people" - which i just found extraordinary.

This always seems more like personal insecurity than anything else. Wanting to distance herself from some imaginary idea of fat, uncool, slovenly, undisciplined people.
"I'm not one of them."

When in fact, this woman probably has overweight friends and relatives she does care about.

martin

----
erm.....

at the risk of undermining my whole argument about looking beyond the flesh, i chose to overlook her silly prejudiced opinions instead, put it that way!

I perfectly understand. Whenever I get lucky with a BNP chick, I tend to hide my Mel & Kim 12"s under a pile of clothes. As Brendan Behan once said, "In matters of prick, there are no principles".