Bernard Manning, R.I.P.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yes, I believe Lucas is, (and Walliams?) but that element is definitely in the mix so to speak. If not repulsion, then the belief that homosexuality is somehow innately funny, (perhaps something to do with comedy centring on mocking "weakness" be that structural, linguistic or societal) worth mining for gag after HILARIOUS gag...

Hopefully in 20 years time we will look back in disbelief that this was allowed onto our screens.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I thought they were both gay"
Could be, it's just I seem to always see pictures in the free rags of Walliams squiring various ladies around town - with the implication being that he and they are romantically linked. I may well have got the wrong end of the stick as I only catch glimpses of the papers in question.

"but that seems to give them a get-out-of-jail-free card to encourage us all to laugh at gays"
But why do they need that when they haven't got such a card for all the other categories you listed? Or are you saying that because they are part of one minority they feel free to have a go at all of them?

Last edited:

crackerjack

Well this is the first thread of the many I've seen on Manning that has got hung up on fatness and ugliness rather than racism and class.

Could be, it's just I seem to always see pictures in the free rags of Walliams squiring various ladies around town - with the implication being that he and they are romantically linked.

When LB first appeared rumour I was told Walliams swung both ways (it's important to get these things sorted, and he is pretty damn camp), but since then he's been living in his own Motley Crue song.

It's become v fashionable to accuse Little Britain of pandering to prejudice but I really can't see it myself (unless you're prejudice is that disabled people are all fraudulent liars and gays are shagless self-pitying whingers).

bassnation

the abyss
Yes, I believe Lucas is, (and Walliams?) but that element is definitely in the mix so to speak. If not repulsion, then the belief that homosexuality is somehow innately funny, (perhaps something to do with comedy centring on mocking "weakness" be that structural, linguistic or societal) worth mining for gag after HILARIOUS gag...

Hopefully in 20 years time we will look back in disbelief that this was allowed onto our screens.

i just can't agree with this. theres loads of gay people who find it amusing. i can't see any self-loathing at play there whatsoever - elton john has appeared on it for fucks sake. some the sketches are positively celebratory of homosexuality and its easily the gayest programme on tv. the ability to take ones self less than seriously doesn't make it the black and white minstrels. i'd suggest its up to gay people how they want to perceive and express stuff about themselves, whether that involves humour or not. and that it seems prissy to chastise them on this.

don't get me wrong, not going to stand here and defend little britain but this just seems totally off-beam.

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
I think them and that other guy who does the foam stuff did try and make it OK for blackface to be used again though. And Elton John isn't really the best walking example of homosexuality I'd want to leave for posterity.

ok agreed on the foam sketches, they made for highly uncomfortable viewing. but re. elton john - people aren't walking examples, they are just people. why isn't his experience any more valid than anyone elses?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
ok agreed on the foam sketches, they made for highly uncomfortable viewing. but re. elton john - people aren't walking examples, they are just people. why isn't his experience any more valid than anyone elses?

You're right there, I just have an unmitigated irrational hate for him, it's entirely unjustifiable. There's a whole list of people I wish would fuck off into heterosexuality, and he's definitely one of them.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"The idea that gay people don't shag members of the opposite sex is one of the great secrets that we keep from all you heterosexuals, so we can sleep with your wives/husbands without the thought ever crossing your minds."
I know your type Mr Sloane, you will move in somewhere, seduce the landlady and her brother and then end up marrying them both (after killing their dad).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That's a really weird thing to say in this day and age on an enlightened forum.

Not really. I'm all in favour of gay couples adopting, I would just prefer to have kids who are my kids, with a woman who is their mum, that's all. It's not in any way a criticism of people who have different family set-ups, and I think it's a bit presumptuous of you to interpret something I've said about my own preferences as a "really weird thing to say".

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Maybe, but he did try to claim that everyone is prejudiced against "fat, ugly people".
Well answer me this, honestly: who would you rather sleep with, go out with, or even just look at: someone (you consider) attractive, or someone (you consider) unattractive?
And that gay/kids thing is just ridiculous as well as offensive; a bit like saying "I wouldn't like to be gay, 'cos I fancy girls".
It's neither ridiculous nor offensive. Gay people - by definition, one might almost say :) - are attracted to people of the same sex, yes? And it's generally considered somewhat tricky for two men or two women to make babies, yes? Stop me if I'm going too fast here...
And if you're also attracted to peopele of the opposite sex, then you're not gay, you're bisexual, surely?
As for how it's 'offensive', that just goes straight over my head. If I'd said "gay people shouldn't have kids", or something like that, it would be offensive, but as it is, it's as if I've said "I don't like tomatoes" and now suddenly I've committed some gravely un-PC slander agianst people who like tomatoes. Would you care to explain?

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
Not really. I'm all in favour of gay couples adopting, I would just prefer to have kids who are my kids, with a woman who is their mum, that's all. It's not in any way a criticism of people who have different family set-ups, and I think it's a bit presumptuous of you to interpret something I've said about my own preferences as a "really weird thing to say".

modern science has overtaken you. you can still have kids AND be gay AND you don't have to adopt either.

mistersloane

modern science has overtaken you. you can still have kids AND be gay AND you don't have to adopt either.

thanks! I was just gonna write that, I don't know any gay people who've adopted, that's what celebrities do now, normal people just IVF or surrogate through friends or form larger scale 'family' type networks, producing their own kids, but just not part of a nuclear family type set up. I think it was presumptuous of you Mr Tea to assume that gay people can't. And you can be gay and still sleep with women/men, every now and then, when drunk, and still be gay.

bassnation

the abyss
Well answer me this, honestly: who would you rather sleep with, go out with, or even just look at: someone (you consider) attractive, or someone (you consider) unattractive?

this is all very cut-and-dried to you, but everyone is different. i have a female friend who is attractive (e.g. classically good looking, easy on the eye etc). she almost never goes out with men who would be considered the same. she looks for rough looking people who have a slight air of vulnerability, or people who would be considered ugly, but are very clever, etc etc.

jeez, man, just take a look around you in the street - its not just the brad pitts of this world who have girls on their arm!

you can take this as a cliche if you like - i.e. the old insult - "shes/hes got a nice personality" - but its true: looks don't get you all the way. and if they do, you don't really want those shallow fuckers who'd make a decision on such grounds, anyway. theres more to life and everyones looks fade with age in the end.

And if you're also attracted to peopele of the opposite sex, then you're not gay, you're bisexual, surely?
As for how it's 'offensive', that just goes straight over my head. Would you care to explain?

everyone is on that scale to a lesser or greater degree - i don't believe in absolutes. have you never found a member of the same sex attractive, mr tea?

Last edited:

mistersloane

Yes, but a gay couple can't BOTH be the dad, can they?

In surrogate situations with two blokes and a lady who has then chosen to not take on a maternal role later, i.e only carrying the child and then giving it over, yeah, you can totally choose not to know which is the biological father if you wanted, you'd have to put something down on the birth certificate I guess, but you could lie about that. Thus the child would then grow up with two fathers, and could choose if it wanted later on to persue a DNA type strain of lineage should it want to.

Bit of a hassle though if you ask me.