The Record Industry's Decline

stormfield

nohjin
Very interesting thread.

I wonder if Radiohead's success in their digital campaign is more due to the fact that they are a band i.e. they have a more "human" face and personality that fans can identify with and feel loyal towards.

Faceless underground producers might not command the same loyalty, though perhaps this is different if the music and their makers are presented properly e.g. in the case of Underground Resistance.

Just my 2 pence worth

Would add more, but not with the constraints of the day job...

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
This argument doesn't really stand up though - the cost of a commercially released CD in a shop has very little to do with the cost of a blank disc.

Anyway... when's the last time you bought a CD on domestic release for £15? :slanted:

People were routinely paying that for albums back in the 90s. And the raw materials must have something to do with the cost. I think it generally served to undermine the credibility of the majors arguments that CDs weren't overpriced. Industry insiders had been saying that for years, but I think the advent of CD-Rs and such demonstrated it to the wider public.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Let them all fucking burn, I'd gladly light Thom up and start the fire with him - Rainbows was the biggest pr scam I've witnessed in a long time. Of course you downloaded it for free for your mum Thom, course you did and 15 years with a major label didn't help at all did it....I can't believe everyone got thrown by such a dummy.

Gabba, it's shops that charge double the price not labels or distributors.

hint

party record with a siren
People were routinely paying that for albums back in the 90s. And the raw materials must have something to do with the cost. I think it generally served to undermine the credibility of the majors arguments that CDs weren't overpriced.

I agree that £15 for a CD was always too much, but my point was that the average price has dropped significantly. It's rare to see a CD on domestic release for sale at over £10 these days, and many major label releases are available for closer to £5 within a year of their release.

Ingredients have been available in supermarkets for decades, but people still happily eat in restaurants.

Recording costs + mastering costs + artwork costs + duplication costs + distribution costs = a lot more than the cost of blank CDrs.

mms

sometimes
Let them all fucking burn, I'd gladly light Thom up and start the fire with him - Rainbows was the biggest pr scam I've witnessed in a long time. Of course you downloaded it for free for your mum Thom, course you did and 15 years with a major label didn't help at all did it....I can't believe everyone got thrown by such a dummy.

Gabba, it's shops that charge double the price not labels or distributors.

no shops don't charge double, if they did shops certainly wouldn't be closing down!

Hint is right of course a cdr is not the same as a finished album release, that's just silly.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
no shops don't charge double, if they did shops certainly wouldn't be closing down!
I'm confused. Are you saying that shops are marking up MORE than 100% or are you saying that the mark-up is far less and the shops aren't making diddly-squat on most releases?

From autoparts to xylophones, 100% mark-up is typical in retail.

artwork costs

I laugh when i see it because i'm an illustrator.

the markup on cds in this country was always disproportionately high. a good 1/3rd higher than america say. it was and is a fucking racket.

The success of radiohead in this arena has everything to do with how their fans buy into them as having some kind of comfortably vague oppositional stance. they present a certain morality if you like... i largely thought of it as a clever piece of publicity, and was also surprised it was taken on face value by anyone.

hint

party record with a siren
Hah, whenever I see artwork mentioned in cost I laugh because I think of all the IDM and rap I bought at the peak of my CD purchasing with shitty or non-existent cover art!

Well, it goes without saying that corners can be cut at any of those stages that I mentioned, but the price of a blank CDr is still one of the smallest parts of the equation.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
it was and is a fucking racket.
Not like in my day etc.. ;)

Interesting that in that OMM article Napier-Bell says that the big companies originally got into the music biz as an indulgence and because it was a stupidly lucrative sideline. So of course the foundational attitude to selling 'pop music' has inevitably persisted.

"None of these companies had been set up first and foremost for music; they made records for extra profit. It was a wonderful trick they'd learnt. They bought vinyl cheaply; added a label, a song and a sleeve and sold it expensively."

crackerjack

the markup on cds in this country was always disproportionately high. a good 1/3rd higher than america say. it was and is a fucking racket.

Which is why record retailers are all so damned rich and why more shops are opening up all the time...oh, hang on.

Most things are cheaper in America. I can't speak about the mark-up there, but I do know that when I worked in music retail the mark-up was typically about 40% of the retail price.

Which is why record retailers are all so damned rich and why more shops are opening up all the time...oh, hang on.

Most things are cheaper in America. I can't speak about the mark-up there, but I do know that when I worked in music retail the mark-up was typically about 40% of the retail price.

the mark up is not by the retailers...i did not say it was. most things may be cheaper in america but i was talking in relative terms. cds have historically been subject to a higher markup at source in the UK

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Not like in my day etc.. ;)

Interesting that in that OMM article Napier-Bell says that the big companies originally got into the music biz as an indulgence and because it was a stupidly lucrative sideline. So of course the foundational attitude to selling 'pop music' has inevitably persisted.

"None of these companies had been set up first and foremost for music; they made records for extra profit. It was a wonderful trick they'd learnt. They bought vinyl cheaply; added a label, a song and a sleeve and sold it expensively."

Yeah, this goes back quite a ways I think... Records were a way to get people to buy electronics equipment, so you have electronics companies starting record labels. Really important before vinyl had been standardized and different companies were using different formats -- sort of like the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD wars.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Since Neumann (lathe manufacturers) closed their doors, and Georg Neumann died a while back, there is apparently one ex-employee left in Europe who knows the machines well enough to repair them, and he basically has a full time job going round cutting rooms all over Europe keeping their machines going. So when he retires... those machines are wonderfully engineered but they can't go on forever.
Maybe there's a training and job opportunity for someone there........

this is the second time i've heard this. :-( i so wanted it to be untrue. i't a real disgrace this has yet to be discussed in parliament.

nochexxx

harco pronting
"a shocking drop in the quality of vinyl pressings and mastering (some places are still good but it's harder and harder and more and more expensive.... just cos it's vinyl doesn't mean it's any cop)"

true dat.

many small labels are doing their own mastering, using vst plug ins as a means too saving pounds. some further scrimp by not bothering with test pressings, decreasing their outgoings that little bit more.......

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
"a shocking drop in the quality of vinyl pressings and mastering (some places are still good but it's harder and harder and more and more expensive.... just cos it's vinyl doesn't mean it's any cop)"

true dat.

many small labels are doing their own mastering, using vst plug ins as a means too saving pounds. some further scrimp by not bothering with test pressings, decreasing their outgoings that little bit more.......

Like who? Mastering and cutting has got cheaper, we pay less for it than we did 5yrs again.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Like who? Mastering and cutting has got cheaper, we pay less for it than we did 5yrs again.

sure i agree with you that mastering and cutting is cheaper. i was trying to refer to the "just cos it's vinyl doesn't mean it's any cop" statement, because some labels hold out on mastering and test pressing costs, which can sometimes produce a bad sounding pressing.