Pandiculate

Stumbled across a few posts on various blogs about some epic 5 hour set where they are all totally shitfaced

Then there was the four hour back 2 back (b2b) special, the show that had so many guests you’d need a widescreen monitor to read it on the iTunes podcast. Crammed into one studio came Skream b2b Benga b2b Plastician b2b Chef b2b LD b2b Hijak ft Sgt. Pokes. Geeneus passed through too. Weasel Crew on tour!

It’s generally expected that when you get that many world class dubstep DJs in one room, the levels of tunes that get drawn for will be, well, levels. But few other DJs could have taken the banter to such heights. Somehow Benga became “The Bengalator” before surprising everyone by becoming a rapper. Plastician became “Plastic Ian” before surprising even more people by becoming an “ibby-dibby” old school garage MC. “Insiiiiide the riiiiide!” With everyone else driving, Skream and Pokes surprised themselves by drinking two crates of premium strength Stella between them. Perhaps this explains why, when Benga and Hijak were heading home and texted him to say they’d just driven past a man running naked down the A13, Skream couldn’t comprehend it. “I’m not being funny, but welcome to London!” he exclaimed. Welcome planet earth: just don’t ask what’s happening.

Does anybody have this? Only links I can find are for the set on rinses website which are long dead. It's Skream 18/07/07, comes in two parts.

EDIT:

While the show's selection was heavyweight, with each DJ trying to better the next, it was the competition for jokes that took things to the next level. This was quality banter between a group of mates who clearly know each other well-- it didn't help that you had Pokes as the mic controller, a man Loefah once described as being so funny, he's sadistic. But given it's silly season, Pokes wasn't the only man MCing that night. First off Benga gave it a few bars, as did Skream (don't give up the day job lads…). But it was Plastician-- known on the night mostly as "Plastic Ian (a very complex polymer)"-- who smacked it with spot on impressions of "ibbydibby" old school garage MCs.

The show descended into drunken farce and with it the comedy levels rose. A competition was run for the first listener to bring a kebab to the secret studio location and late on Skream actually sacks himself for excessive swearing.

http://pitchfork.com/features/grime-dubstep/6664-grime-dubstep/

God it sounds glorious. Someone come through!

Last edited:

Webstarr

i've got both parts to it, 20/7/07 its dated

will upload tomorrow night as long as my internet allows me. I remember the bit about the crates of stella

joe.dfx

who knows...
if that's the Skream show I think it is, it was his 21st birthday show wasn't it?

if it's the one I'm thinking of it ends w/ Coki - Square Off and gets rewound about 4 times...

side note:

What happened at the Swamp 81 Notting Hill Carnival Party???

Anyone there care to comment?

4943863469_f99cbed215.jpg

regardless...lots of fantastic shots by ashes57 as always!

pat

re that stella sesh

i get a shout out in the first second of the 2nd part

remember this well actually, really wanted to live in london so i could bring them a kebab each and win a dubplate near the end

those were the days, but some of it has dated pretty bad. most of it is funny as fuck though

Alfons

Way of the future
been waiting for "vinyl only" nights to surface for a bit. Not saying its bad, interesting.

Unrelated, Burial and Kode9 on Mary Anne Hobbs' last show tonight, people tuning in?

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
I really like wax only nights.

There's one that runs here on a Wednesday that deals predominately with Drum & Bass w/ a sprinkling of Dub space Step. Been meaning to get a set there... Would be nice to see more internationals visit our shores playing wax, but sadly airlines and wax (or acetate) don't mix.