Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't get this comment?
Do you mean in contemporary tunes?
Chopping breaks was a mainstay of a lot of 'proper' Jungle

I mean more the contemporary 'choppage' scene - Paradox et al. Paradox has made some great tunes, I just remember going to see him live and it was like being given a lecture on the importance of breakbeats (literally - he had a microphone). Obviously loads of amazing jungle features chopped-to-buggery breakbeats, but I feel like some people see the complexity of breakbeat-chopping as the proper focal point for jungle producers, whereas I would (probably fairly ignorantly) argue that its the funk and sense of energy in the original breakbeats which is important to retain...* Then again, it seems that there was a serious attitude towards chopping breakbeats in the jungle era - that sense of one-upmanship and experimentation which was so important in driving jungle (not to mention other genres) forward.

*Actually I suppose Paradox and the gang would stress this too, given the 'drumfunk' name.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Incidentally, would be good to have a breakbeats discussion thread on here. I haven't the cojones to try though :eek:

wise

bare BARE BONES
I mean more the contemporary 'choppage' scene - Paradox et al. Paradox has made some great tunes, I just remember going to see him live and it was like being given a lecture on the importance of breakbeats (literally - he had a microphone). Obviously loads of amazing jungle features chopped-to-buggery breakbeats, but I feel like some people see the complexity of breakbeat-chopping as the proper focal point for jungle producers, whereas I would (probably fairly ignorantly) argue that its the funk and sense of energy in the original breakbeats which is important to retain...*

Right, in that case I totally agree

Phaedo

http://www.factmag.com/2011/04/22/fact-mix-241-kryptic-minds/

Fact with yet another mix that I had to download (is it just me that thinks their mix output has gone pretty mad recently? Although the Jon Convex mix was pretty pants).

I'm a big fan of Kryptic Minds, the new album is maybe a slight let down, but this mix is sick. I have heard them be criticised before for having a over clinical, clean sound but imo there's enough grit and subtly, along with such impressive production.

Any thoughts on this anyone?

joe.dfx

who knows...
i didn't like them at first and then i got into it, but now it's kinda the same thing over and over.

personally like it when producers eb n flow a bit more, but they seem to just be going slower (not tempo wise, but just the feeling of their tracks.) all cold dark brooding, but nothing that grabs me.

it's kinda like, yeah i know you can do the dark thing, but can you do anything else?

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
http://www.factmag.com/2011/04/22/fact-mix-241-kryptic-minds/

I'm a big fan of Kryptic Minds, the new album is maybe a slight let down, but this mix is sick.

Any thoughts on this anyone?

I find this mix very frustrating. They show minimal attention to the way it's structured or presented... On numerous occasions I felt as though the pressure was rising only be lost again by the next tune being essentially ambient.
There's a really disjointed sense of progression or flow - clearly they're producers first DJs second.

Check the Studio Mix they did a few years ago, or the RBMA mix they did last year (I think) over this one - both feel allot more coherent.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
i still listen to the one they did for their first LP all the time. really good mix.

Yep, the one that came out with the blackdown interview? That's the one I was referring too in the post above.

I really shouldn't be bitching, but younx is such an epic curator of KM material.

younx is such an epic curator of KM material.

Agree, most of their early dubstep beats were made for him after all. Ive got this Youngsta mix from 2008 and they fit so nicely with his vibe.

There's also the Breakage remix of TRG - Generation in that mix too, my favourite Breakage bit.

Phaedo

I find this mix very frustrating. They show minimal attention to the way it's structured or presented... On numerous occasions I felt as though the pressure was rising only be lost again by the next tune being essentially ambient.
There's a really disjointed sense of progression or flow - clearly they're producers first DJs second.

Check the Studio Mix they did a few years ago, or the RBMA mix they did last year (I think) over this one - both feel allot more coherent.

Actually totally agree with this, got carried away first listen i think. Shame cos some of those dubs are impressive.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
ID?

<param value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio...aW1lIjtpOjEzMDQyODc1MTM7fQ==&autoplay=default" name="movie"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed wmode="transparent" height="28" width="335" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio...aW1lIjtpOjEzMDQyODc1MTM7fQ==&autoplay=default"></embed></object>

plattST

ID?

<param value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio...aW1lIjtpOjEzMDQyODc1MTM7fQ==&autoplay=default" name="movie"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed wmode="transparent" height="28" width="335" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio...aW1lIjtpOjEzMDQyODc1MTM7fQ==&autoplay=default"></embed></object>

Sounds like MJ Cole - Nextisms to me.
[http://www.discogs.com/MJ-Cole-DBX-Ed-Case-Long-Time-Dead-Promo-Sampler/release/51807]

bandshell

Grand High Witch
What the hell is this "Dungeon" shit about? There's a large thread on DSF labelled "The Dungeon Sound".

Awful name.

I get that the people into the original dubstep sound want to distance themselves from "Brostep", but is choosing a cheesy, brostep name going to do that?

Phaedo

What the hell is this "Dungeon" shit about? There's a large thread on DSF labelled "The Dungeon Sound".

Awful name.

I get that the people into the original dubstep sound want to distance themselves from "Brostep", but is choosing a cheesy, brostep name going to do that?

Agreed, such a shit name haha.

Quality of tracks generally is awful too. Like a lot of what Youngsta plays but most of these tunes just sound like the producer's have just heard a couple of Distance and SP:MC tunes and tried to replicate them. Not well either.

The dirty, twisted bassline thing can sound sick done well but there's beginning to be a bit of a over-reliance on it in the Halfstep/Youngsta side of the sound...

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Agreed, such a shit name haha.

Quality of tracks generally is awful too. Like a lot of what Youngsta plays but most of these tunes just sound like the producer's have just heard a couple of Distance and SP:MC tunes and tried to replicate them. Not well either.

The dirty, twisted bassline thing can sound sick done well but there's beginning to be a bit of a over-reliance on it in the Halfstep/Youngsta side of the sound...

Agreed.