martin

----
I think all Clash fans should be forced to acknowledge "Cut the Crap". I'm sick of seeing this 1985 LP airbrushed out of the group's history. Face it - Joe Strummer sang "I wanna be a dirty punk / While my brother dresses clean / He used to be the local hunk / Now I get all the girls in my machine".... and all the "It ended when Mick Jones left" arguments in the world won't alter that fact.

I thought jungle's genesis was the BBC Test Match Cricket theme

john eden

male pale and stale
2stepfan said:
Side note -- once went to see Alex Shulgin when Phikal came out. The venue was the basement of Mick Jones' house in Notting Hill.

Addendum: once went to Turnmills and danced near Mick Jones as he ineptly tried to chat up some teenage girls.

john eden

male pale and stale
matt b said:
who was the 'black' member of the clash then?

just because BAD were influenced by/ shared some of the same influences as acid house doesn't lead to 'the clash created jungle!!'. if it does, then psychic tv created [insert dance genre of your choosing here]. which wouldn't be true either.

Yep - you could also say the same about Meat Beat Manifesto and yer Front 242s.

Oh, but can we say "Psychic TV invented 'uplifting bongo bashing psychedelic trance'"?

Cos that would be very funny?

john eden

male pale and stale
originaldrum said:

That's the first post, which was, y'know setting up a discussion by being provocative.

What about my genius demolition of that further down, eh? Jah Tubbys and all that...

Honestly I Don't Know WHY I Bother S o m e t i m e s! :)

Jamie S

It's an interesting question if you've ever actually tried to do it (make reggae as an all white band). My band used to do a cover of John Public and I wrote a thing for us that musically is quite a detailed rip-off. There's no sufferation shtick in the vocals and no cod patois, but I'm pretty sure you lot would be very dismissive all the same.

I just read Bass Culture and all about the "English one-drop" so I'm going to pass that on to my rhythm section, see if we can avoid it ; )

I think in some ways it's a question of the very small number of musicians who played on all the classic tunes/rhythms. You're not just trying to bite the style of a genre, but the actual tics and tricks of Earl Chinna Smith or whoever.

Obviously, there's thequestion of why you'd want to copy something exactly anyway, so big up the miscegenation crew. Get it wrong! Mash it up!

john eden

male pale and stale
originaldrum said:
dude, this post has pretty much been about the clash.

are they the be all and end all?

So, dude, what is your problem? "bashing whitey" (which has been heroically fended off by me in a genius fashion) or the overexposure of the clash (which my man 2step is guilty of, but I have attempted to fend off as best as I can)?

Oh, and thanks for your contributions - they've certainly enriched my day! :rolleyes:

john eden

male pale and stale
Jamie S said:
It's an interesting question if you've ever actually tried to do it (make reggae as an all white band). My band used to do a cover of John Public and I wrote a thing for us that musically is quite a detailed rip-off. There's no sufferation shtick in the vocals and no cod patois, but I'm pretty sure you lot would be very dismissive all the same.

Naaaaaah! If it sounded like The Clash, Paul and me would like it. If it sounded like The Police, Matt and Paul would like it, and if it sounded like Jah Tubbys or Conscious Sounds then probably everybody would like it! :)

Audio & and Poll - we demand it!

Jamie S said:
Obviously, there's thequestion of why you'd want to copy something exactly anyway, so big up the miscegenation crew. Get it wrong! Mash it up!

Bang on. In fact that is the main criticism of the Jah Shaka-inspired uk people, that it is too "traditional" and backwards looking...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
this thread makes me laugh (in a good way). as does this:

"DFAH (pronounced differ) – because we’re DFAHrent"

genius.

request: keep the whole police thing quiet. :)

D

droid

Can't believe I missed this thread.

Two things:

1. (Martin's not gonna like this): Dominick. White MC from London, big inna yard.

2. Jungle, as we all know was multi-racial and is basically a slightly mutated form of reggae. :D

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
Dominick. White MC from London, big inna yard.

i was literally about to post about this guy, it's quite a tragic story. he's a professional crackhead now, my friend used to see he saw him begging all the time in ladbroke grove.

zhao

there are no accidents
just saw a friend of mine's soundsystem last week, and the entire show was ruined by this one particularly obnoxious German kid who had his left hand on the fader, cutting off the sound EVERY FUCKING 3 BARS to horribly shout a line or deliver stupid, stupid shit in fake patois, and then turning it back on the 1. just that one dynamic on repeat, non stop for the ENTIRE show. would be OK if you're in your bedroom high as a kite with your mates, but in a concert situation: NO!!! and the audience don't know any better and seemed to think it was cool.

my god that was fucking annoying. especially because my friend's selection was so on point. talked to him later about it and he was mainly protective of his guest MC... whatever.

and there is this ugly, ugly brand of German techno-dancehall, of which Seed can only be more than partially responsible. vile nu-rave shit mapped onto dancehall blueprints, with ignorant mama's boys hollering like they were tough. shit is un fucking bearable :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Can't believe I missed this thread.

Two things:

1. (Martin's not gonna like this): Dominick. White MC from London, big inna yard.

I think martin has recanted slightly since this thread was written...

dominic.jpg

http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2007/12/who-say-prancehall-favour-boy-george/

Interesting to hear Steely and Clevie on that red bull interview saying that jungle was basically reggae also...

unknown soulja

Wild Horses
Interesting thread. I think Alborosie's worthy of a mention, pretty big a yard as i understand. Picked up his version on Matches Lane the other day and have been listening to it over and over since.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
and there is this ugly, ugly brand of German techno-dancehall, of which Seed can only be more than partially responsible. vile nu-rave shit mapped onto dancehall blueprints, with ignorant mama's boys hollering like they were tough. shit is un fucking bearable :mad::mad::mad:

I think I want to hear this, actually. Youtube?

Can't believe no one mentioned Lone Ranger in this thread...