Popular and its news to you

This is exactly like Delilo's most photographed barn in America with people taking pictures of it purely cos it's the most photographed.

This is part of it but that phenomenon occurs (there’s a name for this effect, @suspended will know) after a certain threshold is crossed

The flawless face is a factor, the bassline is good but there’s also an emojification of expression as thy article points out and together these things give an odd satisfaction

sus

seems like a tipping point into a Schelling point probs, or a positive feedback loop that creates a saturation bubble, or something something about common knowledge

flattered for the shout-out

sus

Not sure the theory tells us much here other than "you can only signal using the reputations referents accrue" I might agree with Luka on this one

sus

it's the second-order social fact that matters, not the first-order material-aesthetic fact

IdleRich

IdleRich
This is part of it but that phenomenon occurs (there’s a name for this effect, @suspended will know) after a certain threshold is crossed

The flawless face is a factor, the bassline is good but there’s also an emojification of expression as thy article points out and together these things give an odd satisfaction
Sure but I'm saying that the very fact of pointing at this and saying "look it's popular" makes me click on it and make it more popular. So you could say there are two things happening, the content which must have surely have started it all off (unlike the barn which seems to be entirely mundane as I recall) and the feedback loop thing after which it becomes almost self-propagating.

seems like a tipping point into a Schelling point probs, or a positive feedback loop that creates a saturation bubble, or something something about common knowledge

flattered for the shout-out
So a schelling point is about assumptions we can arrive at through deductions, theory of mind, what would a rational agent within my shared environment think? so i dont think this is it

in terms of what makes me uncomfortable about virality 'relatibility' etc, a queasiness... i think there's a kind of frictionlessness achieved by stripping out errors, personality. it relates to SOPHIE and vaporwave in a way, this abstracted and amplified superficial human emotion that pulls me two ways

sus

Ok elaborate a bit and relate it to this tik tok video please
It's not about the thing it's about the social reputation of the thing.

We can say that almost everything has a combination of asocial and social value. If the thing is still worth a lot even if nobody else adopts it, it leans toward asocial, first-order, material value. If the thing is only worth anything when it's hit with network effects, it leans toward social, second-order value. A hatchet's value is mostly asocial and Facebook's value is mostly social.

sus

A durable vinyl purse and a Versace purse have the same desert-island material values and very different exchange values for reasons of social recognition

I dunno, I feel like this stuff is pretty intuitive & baked-into the discourse already, I'm not really theorizing anything new here, just doing a bad job of explaining how fashion works

sus

There's probably a meaningful distinction to be made between the kind of social value that relates to adoption curves (Facebook is only worth being on if your friends are there) and the kind of social value that accrues to reputation & symbolic capital (Versace purse is worth more as a status symbol if it distinguishes you, i.e. if you're one of the rare few who owns it). But both rely, at least, on some widespread common knowledge in one's community or subculture—the Versace purse might've cost a million dollars, but if none of your friends have heard of Versace, or can recognize the mark of fine leather work, you're not getting a boost.

yes it is baked in. im doing systems thinking! is it baked in with a tik tok teenager , they're operating in reaction the 'second order social' within the 'material-aesthetic fact' while making the video arent they?

a schelling point is about finding the lowest common demoninator without communication but virality is about finding the lowest common denominator where we can communicate in excess, maximising relatability and emotion and projection