Popular and its news to you

sus

ostensibly if you take a value-maximizing perspective, there's something prominent about the original that makes people "invest" in it by making spinoffs

but alternative theory is they just liked it / thought it was funny

If all this sounds overly complicated, remember how good we tend to be at the semi-instantaneous, micro-calculations involved in gauging social contexts and determining optimal responses, what Erving Goffman calls “face-work.” It’s the very premise by which we navigate social life. Still, people especially good at gauging cultural signification fields — and who have undergone the necessary data uploads of class-linked education and cultivation — often become artists, art being a field which manipulates and leverages soft meanings towards ends that run the gamut from comfortable to shocking.

• Love
Reactions: sus
Moreover, fashionability, or cool, or style, acts a passphrase, a shift key, a phase shift, a valuable proxy for speaker identity which then allows the speaker to communicate complexly, reflexively, with reference to self and modified by self. It is reliable because of the intense difficulty of faking fashion, which requires so much insider knowledge that any successful impostor is arguably no longer a fake. There’s a reason it’s tough to get into Berghain. Consider, by way of another example, the way true upperclass belonging, or highbrow aesthetic taste, is so impossible to convincingly fake for those outside the caste. So much of fashion is unquantified, subconscious, and ambiently soft that we are not even explicitly aware of the class and taste signals we send, or what alternative signals we might send to signal an alternative identity, and yet we send them constantly, through word choice, attitude, posture, interest, palette, reference, familiarity.⁶

sus

very provocative thoughts shiels thank you for sharing them, the author chap seems like a very bright and cool guy

sus

not like an autist at all, very cool and fun! the kinda guy you'd like to have a pint with

luka

i just cant be bothered with anything that isnt immediate. just zero interest in concentrating. it has to go straight in at the eye without any resistance or i switch off.

Luka doesnt like books cos theyre just status symbols, its an idea he took from sally rooney. i dont know if its a problem. its only a problem if you buy into a certain artistic intent and purity

sus

oh man a Sally Rooney thread would drive this board wild

I'm almost tempted, tho I haven't read any of her books

But I know the line shiels is reffing

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think you can like something without getting it and you can get something without liking it. Why the surprise?