sus

Ok Gus the third one I want you to do is this, and if you feel different about this to Gabrielle, explain why.

Beat + voice-as-instrument stuff gives it good energy. But then it's spoiled/wasted—the hook is just really flat. Not like pitch-wise, but it's just... not dynamic it doesn't go anywhere, it sits in this awkward place harmonically. Totally unsatisfying. The musical equivalent of edging without climax.

sus

There's a nice—is it the bridge?—a few minutes in she opens up a bit, there's some range in the melody, that's a bit nicer.

luka

Beat + voice-as-instrument stuff gives it good energy. But then it's spoiled/wasted—the hook is just really flat. Not like pitch-wise, but it's just... not dynamic it doesn't go anywhere, it sits in this awkward place harmonically. Totally unsatisfying. The musical equivalent of edging without climax.
this was a smash hit before the video but the video give a hint of its school end of year perfomance appeal

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

That's strange, because for me Polachek and Rose sound much flatter. What makes you say its flat? A healthy level of harmonic clash is integral to the best pop music, no? Pop as the initial transcendent requires imperfection.

Last edited:

sus

That's strange, because for me Polachek and Rose sound much flatter. What makes you say its flat?
The Polachek verse is, but the chorus gets up all over the place (octave-ish range), which I think is desirable contrast—narrow/wide, closed/open.

IDK re: Flowers. I really like the beat/groove, there's some wonderful vocal samples in the background that jump around. Perhaps it just hasn't grown on me yet, first listens can be tough to get a good impression besides "interesting" or "has promise." Second go-around I'm enjoying a bit more.

luka

its also music that occupies a strange place between proper song and dance music... all that garage gear that is. so you can judge it as a pop song, but its also a proper uk garage tune

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Do you think they're able to behave this way because they're sloshed, or is it a deeper cultural difference? Even as schoolboys we Americans are too atomized and self-conscious to start chanting fight songs together.

Alcohol and other substances. Football varies in its gnosis - the king of day outs and you have to give London its dues here. Fwiw, you have to have some aggro or what’s the point? Crystal Palace constantly getting ripped being the funniest running gag example on the forum. Old parochialism slowly usurped by £-pimping compounds hating Chelsea, the epitome of sell outs. Remember this pattern with Londoners. If they’re slinging heat, just bring up Chelsea

Segue to Dominator, one of the best ‘pre kick off‘ tunes from THE worst club (after Rangers) for fascist, Queen doting, sell out scum. London as magpie overlord, lifting and borrowing (and stealing) off everyone. You‘d travel down the M1 on a coach full of yetis, carnage building and ping pong pub windows going through, then charging into a tip of a ground to such a sweet moment

Cultural differences? Rugby at Twickers, Satan’s home, will show you the class divide but a lot of these boundaries are porous and Third is not a rugby head (imagine, gabber tackling!)

sus

And after that I want you to do this one.

OK last one then I have an outside world to attend to!

The right thick, plodding energy for this sorta thing. The way it drops out, comes back is nice. TBH I would find it hard to say anything meaningful about most reggae tracks, so I should stop here.

sus

Alcohol and other substances. Football varies in its gnosis - the king of day outs and you have to give London its dues here. Fwiw, you have to have some aggro or what’s the point? Crystal Palace constantly getting ripped being the funniest running gag example on the forum. Old parochialism slowly usurped by £-pimping compounds hating Chelsea, the epitome of sell outs. Remember this pattern with Londoners. If they’re slinging heat, just bring up Chelsea

Segue to Dominator, one of the best ‘pre kick off‘ tunes from THE worst club (after Rangers) for fascist, Queen doting, sell out scum. London as magpie overlord, lifting and borrowing (and stealing) off everyone. You‘d travel down the M1 on a coach full of yetis, carnage building and ping pong pub windows going through, then charging into a tip of a ground to such a sweet moment

Cultural differences? Rugby at Twickers, Satan’s home, will show you the class divide but a lot of these boundaries are porous and Third is not a rugby head (imagine, gabber tackling!)
Is the football team you support a cultural philosophical thing? Pick a vibe/world-ethos to rep (more than just being a geographical thing, like sports allegiance in the States)? Is fandom a familial inheritance?

luka

Is the football team you support a cultural philosophical thing? Pick a vibe/world-ethos to rep (more than just being a geographical thing, like sports allegiance in the States)? Is fandom a familial inheritance?
no. no. yes.

luka

it's where youre from. you dont have to identify with it. when i worked at the dogtrack the old man who ran the carparks was a window fitter from east ham who refused to support england and said his favourite team was germany cos he liked their footballing values of teamwork cooperation no egos. he also sometimes pretended to be jewish.

luka

but for anyone of my age or younger this stuff is melting away and has been all our lives. maybe it holds more for places with a strong sense of cultural identity like liverpoool

Reactions: sus

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Yes although the geographical element factors into it. As serious as your life. I had two choices as a north londoner. Arsenal or Spurs. And Spurs stand for everything I loathe. I have some really good Spurs mates, but on match day, they are more contemptible than Pol Pot. That's just the way it is.

My dad is a cockney red, which I find to be glory hunting, but most Manchester United fans do not live in Manchester.

• Haha
Reactions: sus