questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

Where do the people behind 'Are you really from the ends' reside. As I understand it they live in a very desirable area, to the extent that many people from adjacent districts falsely claim affinity with it.

Also, what does crepes mean. The lyric is seen in Boy In Da Corner: "I love females, money and crepes'. One of the tunes off Guns & Roses 2 uses it: "Lets get some crepes on". I think Trim may have mentioned the word too. Do the youth of Tower Hamlets have a sweet tooth for decadent pancakes.

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
Shoes? Crepe soles?

These are big on road right now so I'm told.

clkdesertboot_sandsd2big.jpg

With his exclusive Nike trainers deal, its plausible enough that if Dizzee only had 3 things to live with he would choose females, money and shoes. But his priorities seem wrong, he should have more space in his life for beer.

Client Eastwood

Shoes? Crepe soles?

These are big on road right now so I'm told.

clkdesertboot_sandsd2big.jpg

Are these Clarks ? oh the image tag answers. These were big with the reggae massive, loads of lyrics metioning Clarks shoes in some of the digi reggae and early dancehall from late 80s/early 90's. Right im dusting mine off. Warning they're really slippy on wet concrete but good for shuffling on a wet dance floor : )

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
alright here's one. what the hell is "Balearic"?

I understand it's not really a defined thing at all but rather whatever whatsisname played when Weatherall and Oakenfold and whoever went to Ibiza, and that it's more of a feeling than a genre, and blah blah blah. I was more wondering what kind of tracks would people consider to be Balearic, aside from the Balearic Beats comps stuff?

Ory

warp drive
balearic is dreamy, feel-good trance and house. it often has acoustic guitars and stuff. the most obvious example would be Nalin & Kane - Beachball:
edit: I'd put TasteXperience - Highlander in that box as well

http://www.zshare.net/audio/518206796b4f43d3/

(I couldn't find a sample, so I just uploaded it... sue me)

Three Drives - Greece 2000
Solar Stone - Seven Cities

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
balearic is dreamy, feel-good trance and house. it often has acoustic guitars and stuff. the most obvious example would be Nalin & Kane - Beachball:
edit: I'd put TasteXperience - Highlander in that box as well

http://www.zshare.net/audio/518206796b4f43d3/

(I couldn't find a sample, so I just uploaded it... sue me)

Three Drives - Greece 2000
Solar Stone - Seven Cities

well i had this tape as a kid,
and it was a weird mish mash of things
http://www.discogs.com/release/5870

mos dan

fact music
i have a question, which is in a way kind of important, but also sort of taboo for obvious reasons, but...

how much do djs get paid? at different clubs, at different stages of their careers, etc.

say it's none of my business if you like, but i'm interested.

Shonx

Shallow House
i have a question, which is in a way kind of important, but also sort of taboo for obvious reasons, but...

how much do djs get paid? at different clubs, at different stages of their careers, etc.

say it's none of my business if you like, but i'm interested.

I think it generally goes not even expenses, then beer, then some money, then (if lucky) several hundred quid a night (I know a lot of the bigger dubstep names charge at least £200 for a set, don't know how it works in other genres), and then when the punters lose interest, whatever they can get.

hint

party record with a siren
I know a lot of the bigger dubstep names charge at least £200 for a set, don't know how it works in other genres

£200 for the "big names" seems like a low estimate to me. Unless that's for a short set in amongst some 12-DJs-in-4-hours affair.

Someone who packs in 500 heads paying £5 each in one city might struggle to pull in 50 in another city. I think most DJs charge a variety of rates depending on the event / venue / country / promoter / location / timing, and this is why it's not talked about openly.

"B-b-b-b-but I saw that you wrote on the internet that you played at so-and-so's megarave for £25 in 2004. How come I have to pay £450?".

Shonx

Shallow House
Well without naming names, I've heard a pair of dj's get £800 for a 90 minute set, and I suppose in bigger venues that's going to be loads more. I did also hear of one of the dubstep originals getting paid loads less in comparison which seems criminal.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm thinking of two pairs right now lol

I think Paul Oakenfold gets paid 35 million pounds on average for a 2 minute ableton set.

mos dan

fact music
I think most DJs charge a variety of rates depending on the event / venue / country / promoter / location / timing, and this is why it's not talked about openly.

yeah that's fair enough. that's why i like dissensus tho, feels like it's exempt from the standard taboos.